Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 51:7-13
Is My Heart Right With God?
1. Simon sinned by trying to buy the gift of God, Acts 8:20.
2. But why did Simon do this? His heart was not right, Acts 8:21.
a. Every sin begins in the heart, Mark 7:20-23 (Jer. 17:9).
b. Heart problems lead to a sin problems.
c. Why Jesus repeatedly taught our hearts must be right with God, Matt. 6:21; 12:35; Luke 8:15; et al. (“heart” 250xs in gospels)
3. What is a right heart in God’s sight? Is my heart right with God?
I. WHEN IS MY HEART RIGHT IN GOD’S SIGHT?
A. When My Heart Completely Loves God and My Neighbors, Mark 12:30-31.
1. Love God: Keep His commands (John 14:15).
2. Love neighbor: As self (Be a neighbor, Luke 10:29, 36).
B. When My Heart is Like the Heart of Jesus.
1. Humble and lowly king, Matt. 21:5.
2. Angered and grieved by sin, Mark 3:5 (John 2:15-17).
3. Tender and kind, Matt. 12:18-21. (not aggressive and harsh)
4. All the elements of heart we are commanded to put on, Col. 3:12-16. Because we are to bear His moral likeness, Col. 3:10.
C. Is My Heart Right With Jesus?
1. Each of us must judge ourselves in this (not our neighbor).
2. Remedy is repentance (like Simon), Acts 8:22-23.
II. IS MY HEART RIGHT WITH:
A. My Neighbors? Acts 17:26 [“honor (value) all,” 1 Pet. 2:17].
1. Common trials, struggles, ailments, and challenges.
2. Common Creator, spiritual responsibilities, Judge.
3. Bitterness, cruelty, self-seeking, etc., 2 Tim. 3:1-5.
4. Love must be lived, shown toward others, 1 John 3:18.
B. My Family? 1 Peter 3:1-7
1. Wife toward husband, 3:1-6 (pure, respectful, submissive, trusting God).
2. Husband toward wife, 3:7 (respectful, honoring, sharing life, spiritual leader, Col. 3:19).
3. Parents and children, Eph. 6:1-4 (Col. 3:21).
C. My Brethren?
1. By putting their interests before myself, Phil. 2:1-4.
2. By keeping godly attitudes toward each other, Eph. 4:31-32.
3. By serving one another, not cannibalizing each other, Gal. 5:13-15.
-With respect, not combative; with trust, not evil suspicions.
4. By helping each other be faithful and not causing others to sin, Matt. 18:6-7.
III. HOW CAN WE DO THIS?
A. With God’s Help, Acts 8:24.
1. Must not rely on ourselves but on God and His ways.
2. His strength, Eph. 6:10, 14-17.
B. With Each Other’s Help, Rom. 12:10-16.
1. With a heart of forgiveness, as God forgives us, Eph. 4:32.
2. By walking in love, Eph. 5:1-2.
1. If all we can see are heart faults in others, then our heart is not right with God, Matt. 7:3-5.
2. “Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts” (Ps. 125:4).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted November 17, 2021