Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 5:1-15
"Why Didn't Jesus Heal Everyone?"
1. Q: “In the Gospels, Jesus performs many miracles and heals a lot of people. My question is: Why didn’t Jesus heal everyone?”
2. Question assumes either:
a. Some came to Jesus for healing and were sent away unhealed, or
b. Jesus should have but didn’t heal people who never came to Him for healing.
3. Not a single NT account of anyone coming to Jesus for healing who was not healed.
4. Remember: Jesus always did what pleased the Father, John 8:29.
5. So, “Why didn’t Jesus heal everyone, regardless of where they were or whether they came to Him?”
6. John 5:1-15: Some ask: Is it because Jesus didn’t care about those left unhealed? Did He love some more than others? Was He incapable of healing everyone? Did someone prevent Him from healing everyone? Did He only heal those who believed in Him?
7. Why didn’t Jesus heal everyone?
I. “WHY DIDN’T JESUS HEAL EVERYONE?”
A. Not Because He Couldn’t Heal Them (lacked power), Luke 5:17.
1. God was with Jesus; He is “God with us,” Acts 10:38 (Col. 2:9).
2. Complete harmony between Son and Father in work, John 5:19.
3. If Jesus didn’t heal because He couldn’t heal, that means God doesn’t heal everyone now because He can’t do it.
B. Not Because He Wouldn’t Heal Them (a sinful attitude).
1. Fact: His heart was one of love, mercy, and compassion for the sick, Matt. 14:14.
2. He taught disciples to have the same heart, Gal. 6:10 (1 John 3:18).
C. Truth: His Healing Miracles Prove His Power and Heart to Heal.
II. JESUS DID NOT HEAL EVERYONE BECAUSE…
A. Universal Healing of the Flesh was Not the Work the Father Gave Jesus to Do, John 5:30 (6:38).
B. His Miracles Served as Signs of a Greater Work, John 3:2; 5:20.
1. Show He is Christ, Son of God, John 5:36; Acts 2:22.
2. To bring people to faith in Him as Son of God, John 10:37-38.
3. To reveal His glory and glorify God, John 2:11; Matt. 15:30-31.
4. To prove His authority over sin (Mark 2:10-11) and Satan (Matt. 8:16; 12:27-28).
5. To show God’s mercy and compassion, Mark 5:19.
C. His Miracles Were Sufficient to Fulfill These Divine Purposes, John 17:4; 20:30-31.
III. LESSON: JESUS CAME TO HEAL THE SOULS OF ALL WHO WILL BELIEVE, Matt. 8:16-17 (Isa. 53:4); 1 Pet. 2:21-25.
A. His Miracles Assure Us He Can Save Our Souls From Sin.
1. God sent Jesus to heal our souls, Luke 4:18.
2. Yet many do not come to be healed of their sins, John 12:37-40.
B. Jesus Did All Things “That You May be Saved,” John 5:34 (Luke 19:10).
1. He has the power and will to save you.
2. Do His miracles convince you He can heal your soul from your sin? Matt. 11:28 (John 8:36)
3. Jesus warned the healed man about the greater problem of sin, John 5:13-15.
C. His Miracles Teach Christians to Trust His Grace through Trials of the Flesh, 2 Cor. 12:7-10.
1. Jesus loved Paul and could have healed him.
2. Paul needed a greater lesson: Humble dependency on Christ.
3. We must learn to reverently worship Christ and thankfully rejoice in being healed from our sins, Luke 17:11-19.
1. Jesus healed all who came to Him for healing, Matt. 8:16 (12:15).
2. Every healing miracle Jesus worked showed He has power to heal the soul from sin, Mark 2:9-11.
3. Jesus saves everyone who comes to Him for spiritual healing (Acts 10:34-35).
4. Let Jesus heal your life by the power of God. Believe and obey Him now (Acts 2:37-38, 41; 22:16).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted June 5, 2022