Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Peter 3:14-18
Grow in Grace
1. Growth “in grace and knowledge” produces steadfastness, which is a hedge against falling and being led away into error, 2 Pet. 3:17-18.
a. Growth is necessary for our steadfastness (“keep on growing”).
b. Must continually advance in the faith to persevere and avoid falling.
2. Grow: Enlarge; “Increase in the image and favor of God” (Adam Clarke).
3. Grace (charis): “Favor freely given; lovingkindness, gift.”
a. Received through Christ (Jno. 1:16-17). We stand in grace (Rom. 5:1-2); Not to receive it in vain (2 Cor. 6:1); Be strong in grace (2 Tim. 2:1).
b. Principle: Good stewards of God’s grace, 1 Pet. 4:10.
4. We are taught to “continue in the grace of God” (Acts 13:43).
5. Having received grace, how do we grow in grace? That is, how do we develop and enlarge grace within us (a gracious character), and therefore, God’s favor?
I. GROW IN GRACE BY GROWING IN KNOWLEDGE, 2 Pet. 3:18.
A. Knowledge of Christ is Essential for Growth in Grace, 2 Pet. 1:2; 1 Pet. 2:2-3.
B. God’s Grace Teaches Us, Tit. 2:11-12.
1. To obey its instruction is how we increase in God’s grace.
2. Avoid error – Be established in grace, Heb. 13:9.
3. Knowing truth (obeying it) builds up and secures heaven, Acts 20:32.
II. GROW IN GRACE BY GENUINELY LOVING CHRIST, Eph. 6:24.
A. The Means of Receiving Grace, Jno. 14:15, 21, 23.
1. The Christian who lovingly obeys Christ has God’s favor.
2. Obey from the heart as a slave of righteousness, cf. Rom. 6:15-18.
III. GROW IN GRACE BY HUMBLY ELIMINATING SIN FROM OUR LIVES, Jas. 4:5-8.
A. God Gives Grace to the Humble, Jas. 4:6. Grow in grace by growing in humility before God, and ceasing sin.
B. Grace Will Not Abound Where Sin Resides, Rom. 6:1-2, 12-14.
-Conversely, sin will not abound where grace resides.
C. Grow in Grace by Denying Worldliness and Living Godly, Tit. 2:11-12.
IV. GROW IN GRACE BY LIVING GRACIOUS LIVES OF SERVICE, 2 Thess. 2:16-17.
A. By Serving Others.
1. God’s love gave us eternal comfort and hope through grace.
2. We grow in grace by giving others love, comfort, and hope.
3. We imitate God’s grace for us by freely being gracious to others.
B. By Using Gracious Speech, Eph. 4:29; Col. 4:6.
1. Giving grace by words that meet a need, that edify another.
2. Grow in grace by developing and using speech that is kind, thoughtful, generous, and helpful.
C. By (the) Sacrificial, Sincere Giving (of ourselves to others), 2 Cor. 8:1-2, 6-9.
1. Their singleness of heart was proof of God’s grace at work in them, 8:1-2.
2. Like Christ, we are to abound in sincere giving, 8:6-9.
3. Zealous giver receives grace to give more and more, 2 Cor. 9:6-8.
D. By Our Worship of God.
1. Give God honor and piety through worship, Heb. 12:28.
2. By singing with lovingkindness toward God, your praise is heard and received, Col. 3:16.
3. The true worshiper abounds in God’s grace.
1. 2 Pet. 3:18: Continue to grow in grace by growing in knowledge, by genuinely loving Christ, by eliminating sin, and by living graciously toward others (in speech, giving, worship).
2. “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you” (May the grace of God accompany you), Rom. 16:20.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted December 5, 2019