Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Peter 3:14-18
Grow in the Grace and Knowledge of Our Lord
1. 2 Pet. 3:18: This exhortation to spiritual growth (in the grace and knowledge of the Lord) may leave us wondering how to accomplish this growth.
2. Spiritual growth occurs as the result of:
a. Spiritual nutrition (word of God), 1 Pet. 2:1-3.
b. Spiritual exercise, 1 Tim. 4:7-8; Heb. 5:14.
c. Spiritual endurance, 2 Tim. 2:1-7. (endure-compete-persevere)
3. 2 Peter 3: Insight into how to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
I. GROW IN THE GRACE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.
A. By Keeping Proper Attitudes toward Our Fellow-Christians.
1. Beloved, 3:1, 8, 14, 17 (agaphtov, from agapaw): ďbeloved, esteemed, dear, favoriteĒ (Thayer, 4). cf. Rom. 12:10
a. Peterís heart goes out to his brethren, and by doing so, he draws their hearts to himself.
b. He esteemed them worthy of a second letter to remind them of the truth they already knew (2 Pet. 1:12-13, 15).
c. Peter showed love and grace by his repetitious reminders of the word of Christ.
2. Our ability to ďstir upĒ one another is, in part, the result of godly attitudes displayed, and of loving words being spoken to each other, 2 Cor. 6:11-12; Gal. 6:1; Phil. 2:3-4; Col. 4:5-6.
-Harsh words do not show the beloved grace of the Lord, they reveal the ugliness of impatiently devaluing others.
B. By Being Diligent to be Found by the Lord in Peace on the Day of His Return, 2 Pet. 3:14.
1. Eager to remove sinís stain (unblemished and unblameable) to be approved, 2 Tim. 2:15.
2. Gracious living that is holy and honorable leads to eternal peace, Rom. 2:10.
C. By Accepting the Teachings of Christís Apostles instead of Twisting them, 2 Pet. 3:15-17.
1. Warned against selfish use of the Scriptures; not gracious!
2. Be steadfast in truth; not in the errors and traditions of men.
II. GROW IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.
A. Grow in Knowledge and Understanding of the Day of Judgment, 2 Pet. 3:7. (Acts 17:31; 2 Cor. 5:10)
B. Grow in Knowledge and Understanding of What Causes Religious Error, 2 Pet. 3:1-16.
1. Selfish desires, 3:3.
2. Willful ignorance, 3:5.
3. Believing God thinks like human beings, 3:8-9 (Isa. 55:8-9).
4. Twisting Scriptures from lack of knowledge and stability, 3:16.
C. Grow in Knowledge and Understanding of Repentance, 2 Pet. 3:8-10.
1. What repentance is, 2 Cor. 7:10.
2. What prompts repentance:
a. The goodness of God, Rom. 2:4.
b. The severity of God, Lk. 13:5 (perish, 2 Pet. 3:9).
D. Grow in Knowledge and Understanding of Christís Second Coming, 2 Pet. 3:10-13.
E. Grow in Knowledge and Understanding of Spiritual Growth, 2 Pet. 3:18.
-Spiritual nutrition, spiritual exercise and spiritual endurance-
1. Comes from diligent, holy living, 3:14.
2. Comes as we acknowledge the Lordís longsuffering as our opportunity to grow, not as our reason for neglect, 3:15 (Heb. 6:11-12).
1. We do not please God when we fail to grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord, Heb. 5:12.
2. We do not give God the glory He deserves when we do not grow, 2 Pet. 3:18.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 11, 2018