A MAN ACQUAINTED WITH GRIEF
1. Who among us has not experienced sorrow, pain & grief? (a loss, treatment, etc.)
2. Isa. 53:3 - Centuries before Christ lived, Jesus relationship with grief was foretold by the prophet. -Grief - "lit., with sickness" (Pulpit Comm.). Both of mind & body.
3. Amazing that Jesus "went about doing good" although put to grief! - Acts 10:38
4. Christians must endure tribulations to enter kingdom - Acts 14:22 (Do good - 2 Ths. 3:13)!
5. Knowing His relationship w/ grief helps us (1 Pet. 2:21).
-Jesus was acquainted with grief:
I. FROM THE HARDSHIPS OF LIFE - Matt. 8:18-20.
A. He Lived A Poor And Grueling Life.
1. Travel, mercy & generosity of others - Lk. 8:1-3. For Jesus, godliness was not a way of gain, but of sacrifice!
a. Sacrifice must characterize us - Matt. 8:19-20.
b. Gratitude for our advantages - Eph. 5:20.
c. Understanding & wise use - Eccl. 7:14.
II. FROM HIS FAMILY - Jno. 7:4-5.
A. His Brothers Rejected Him During Life.
1. They were skeptical, not supportive.
2. Hurts when family doesnt support you!
a. May be rejected by family - Matt. 10:36f.
b. May be mistreated - Eph. 5:22, 25, 28.
c. Be supportive in obeying the truth!
III. FROM HIS FRIENDS.
A. His Closest Companions Brought Him Grief:
1. Judas - Jno. 13:18, 21, 27 (Psa. 55:12-14).
2. Peter - Jno. 13:36-38 (Lk. 22:60-61).
3. All disciples - Jno. 16:32 (Matt. 26:56).
a. Must strengthen our faith so we do not forsake Jesus (Matt. 10:22).
b. Be a friend who stands by others - Prv. 17:17; 18:24 (Eccl. 4:9-12).
c. Friends may forsake, but God never will - Jno. 16:32.
5. Make friends of Gods children - Give joy, not grief!
IV. FOR DOING GOOD - Jno. 5:15-16.
A. Rather Than Praised, He Was Persecuted.
1. Harrassed, tracked, plotted against.
2. We might be tempted to stop the good!
a. Mistreatment will come - 2 Tim. 3:12.
b. Blessed when mistreated - Matt. 5:10-11.
c. Rejoice rather than stop - Matt. 5:12.
V. FROM ENDURING TEMPTATIONS - Heb. 2:18.
A. We Dont Think Of Jesus Temptations As Being A Source Of Grief -- But They Were - cf. Heb. 4:15; Lk. 22:28.
a. Accept His help to endure (Heb. 2:18)
b. Boldly come to Him for mercy & grace (Heb. 4:16).
VI. IN HIS DEATH - Isa. 53:3-6, 10.
A. He Endured A Cruel Death For Us - Matt. 27: 27-31; Jno. 19:30.
1. v. 4 - Bore our griefs & sorrows - Not esteemed properly!
2. v. 5-6 - His death is our healing!
3. v. 10-11 - God delighted in the achievement of the Saviors grief (sacrifice for sin)!
a. Must be saved - Rom. 6:3.
b. Must die to sin - Rom. 6:2, 4.
c. Must die to self - Gal. 2:20.
5. These will require sacrifice, pain & grief -- Obtain reward.
a. Jesus (Isa. 53:12).
b. Us (eternal life, Rom. 6:23).
1. When you are put to grief by others for doing will of God, do not despair!
2. Look to Jesus - He will sustain you! - Heb. 13:5-6