Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Mark 2:13-17
The Great Physician
1. When sick, we go to doctors expecting to receive accurate diagnosis and also correct treatment to heal. (cf. Cancer)
2. Yet, when it comes to spiritual health, many are content to receive false diagnosis based on faulty analysis of the condition. Then, are happy to receive treatment that does not solve the spiritual disease of sin (but in fact, deepens the problem).
3. Jesus: The Great Physician of the soul, Mk. 2:14-17.
a. Diagnoses the illness: Sin, 2:15, 17.
b. Remedy: Repentance, 2:17 (14).
4. People do not go to a false doctor when they are sick, yet many go to religious "fakes" and "quacks" who can never heal their souls!
I. SIN: THE DREADFUL SPIRITUAL DISEASE.
A. Sin is Universal in Scope, Rom. 3:9, 23.
B. Sin Affects Vital Organs, with the Heart as its Seat, Matt. 15:19-20.
C. Sin is Contagious, Corrupting Others, 1 Cor. 15:33; 1 Cor. 5:6.
D. Sin is Deceitful, Heb. 3:13; Eph. 4:22; 2 Cor. 11:3; James 1:16.
E. Sin is Fatal, Producing Spiritual Death, Rom. 6:23; 1: 32; Jas. 1:15.
II. HELPLESS HEALERS OF SIN.
A. People-Pleasing Preachers, Jer. 6:13-15 (Micah 3:5-7); 2 Tim. 4:3-4.
B. Self-Serving Shepherds (elders), 1 Pet. 5:1-3 (cf. Ezek. 34:1-4).
C. Sin-Encouraging Doctrines and Sin-Accepting Churches, Gal. 1:6-9 ("all-inclusive", "all-accepting", "non-condemning" churches), 2 Cor. 11:3-4.
III. THE GREAT PHYSICIAN v. HELPLESS HEALERS.
A. Jesus Diagnoses and Heals All Sin. Matt. 11:28-30
1. Diagnosis: John 8:34 (bondage of sin).
2. His plan of salvation: H-B-C-R-B, then be faithful.
3. False remedies for sin:
-Faith only; Sinner's prayer; Universalists (deny sin).
B. Jesus Diagnoses and Heals the Sins of Immorality.
1. Adultery, Jno. 4:16-18 (10).
2. Abortion (murder), Matt. 19:18; cf. Lk. 1:36 (conceived son, not a fetus), 44; 2:12. "Babe" both before and after birth.
3. Homosexuality, Matt. 19:4; 1 Cor. 6:9-11 (14:37).
4. Adultery is normalized, cf. Ashley Madison website; MDR errors that approves of adulterers in the churches.
5. Abortion is an industry of convenience. Churches that support abortion include UCC, while others equivocate.[i]
6. LGBT agenda of acceptance/approval (same-sex marriage, gender equality, etc.).[ii] Isa. 5:20-21; Rom. 1:32
C. Jesus Diagnoses and Heals the Sin of False Doctrine. Jno. 8:32; 14:6.
1. The faith that saves v. grace that indulges sin, Jude 3-4.
2. Apostolic doctrine v. contradictory teaching (destroys souls), Acts 2:42; Gal. 2:4-5; 1 Jno. 4:6.
3. "It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere". (Nadab and Abihu)
4. "No one will ever agree on everything!" Jno. 17:20-21; Eph. 4:3
5. "You are demanding 100% doctrinal conformity." 2 Jno. 9
IV. "PHYSICIAN, HEAL THYSELF" (Lk. 4:23).
A. Jesus has Already Proved His Worth as the Great Physician, Lk. 4:23; Heb. 4:15 (Matt. 16:16).
B. Helpless Healers Give Hollow Hope to Sinners, cf. Acts 8:9-13.
1. False prophets...False gospels...False churches...False brethren.
2. Under God's curse because God hates sin and false remedies give false hope while keeping the lost from great Physician! Gal. 1:8-9
1. False remedies for sin will never relieve its pain and punishment, cf. Jer. 46:11-12 (8:22).
2. Only Jesus, the great Physician, can save you, Lk. 8:43-44, 48; Acts 4:12.
[ii] "Homosexual agenda (or gay agenda) is a pejorative term introduced by some conservative Christians in the United States as a disparaging way to describe the advocacy of cultural acceptance and normalization of non-heterosexual orientations and relationships. The term refers to efforts to change government policies and laws on LGBT rights-related issues. Additionally, it has also been used by some social conservatives and others to describe alleged goals of LGBT rights activists, such as recruiting heterosexuals into what they term a "homosexual lifestyle".
"...efforts to change government policies and laws on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues, for example, same-sex marriage and civil unions, LGBT adoption, recognizing sexual orientation as a protected civil rights minority classification, LGBT military participation, inclusion of LGBT history and themes in public education, introduction of anti-bullying legislation to protect LGBT minors - as well as non-governmental campaigns and individual actions that increase visibility and cultural acceptance of LGBT people, relationships, and identities." ("Homosexual agenda", Wikipedia)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 25, 2015