Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 28:18-20
1. The Great Commission gives marching orders to the apostles and to all subsequent disciples, Matt. 28:18-20 (Mk. 16:15-16; Lk. 24:47).
2. This charge rests upon the great authority of Jesus Christ.
I. CHRIST’S AUTHORITY IS UNIVERSAL, ENCOMPASSING EVERYTHING, Matt. 28:18.
-Heaven and earth: Every realm, sphere and being, cf. 1 Cor. 15:25-27.
A. All Authority was Given by the Father, Jno. 5:19-23, 26-27.
-We must honor the Son to receive life from Him, 5:23, 25-26.
B. All Authority was Accepted by the Son, 1 Pet. 3:22 (Dan. 7:13-14).
1. Reigning at the right hand of God, Heb. 1:5-9.
2. Far above every position, power and government, Eph. 1:20-23.
3. Christ has authority:
a. To rule, Col. 1:16-18.
b. To judge (condemn), Jno. 5:27-30.
c. To save, Acts 4:12. Hence, the great commission...
4. Christ has authority over every person on earth, and His authority is expressed by means of His word, the NT, Psa. 110:1-3.
5. Unbelievers are under His authority, too.
II. CHRIST’S AUTHORITY MAKES DISCIPLES, Matt. 28:19-20.
A. Disciples are Made by Teaching, Jno. 6:44-45; Rom. 10:17; Eph. 4:20-21.
1. Gospel power to save by teaching unbelievers to believe, Rom. 1:16 (Mk. 16:15).
2. Authority to make disciples does not lie in the church or in the wisdom and will of men – in Christ! 1 Cor. 2:1-5
3. That is why we preach Christ – so disciples are made by His power.
B. Disciples are Made by Baptism, 28:19. In the name of...
1. Into a relationship with, cf. Gal. 3:27.
2. By the authority of, Acts 2:38; 8:12, 16; 10:48; 19:2-5; 22:16.
C. Disciples are Made in Order to Live, 28:20; Acts 2:42; Rom. 6:4; 2 Tim. 2:2 (Lk. 9:23).
III. CHRIST’S AUTHORITY IS UNIVERSALLY REVEALED IN HIS COMMANDS, Matt. 28:20.
A. We are to Observe All the Words of Christ.
1. All of Christ’s words are to be heard today.
2. Some are dissecting Christ’s words into pre-cross/post-cross:
a. “Jesus revealed no New Testament doctrine during the thirty-three years of the Old Testament age described in MMLJBC.” (Letter to Dennis Ross, Nov-Dec, 2004)
b. On Matt. 5:17ff: “…a section that obviously is not part of the new covenant teaching. Jesus teaching Jews, bringing them back to the Law of Moses – and He’s going to be reinforcing exactly what Moses said.” (Sam Dawson, The Sermon on the Mount, the Law of Moses, and the New Covenant, 4/15/90, Sumner, WA; emphasis his)
c. On Matthew 5:19: The new covenant was “not going to be revealed for three more years!” (Ibid)
-[By this rationale, Dawson would have Jesus telling the apostles to teach Christians to live by the Law of Moses in Matt. 28:20!]
3. No difference in the authority of Christ’s words:
a. Pre-cross, Matt. 28:20; 17:5; Heb. 2:3 – Matt. 4:17, 23.
b. Post-cross, Acts 1:3-8; Apostolic doctrine, Jno. 13:20.
c. Holy Spirit inspiration, Jno. 16:12-15; Mk. 16:19-2o.
d. Example: Theophilus was taught the gospel...life of Christ assured his faith was true, Lk. 1:1-4.
4. Any doctrine that separates the words of Christ from His authority that we are under today is not from God!
-MDR error that removes Matt. 19:1-9 from application today.
B. Fellowship with Christ is Based on Keeping His Commands, Matt. 28:20.
1. Basis of fellowship with Christ:
a. The apostles’ teachings, 1 Jno. 1:3-4.
b. Keeping His commandments, 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
c. Abide in His teaching, 2 Jno. 9.
2. Assurance of Christ’s presence in our lives, Eph. 3:17; 1 Jno. 5:13.
1. The great authority of Jesus Christ is exclusive – Head of the church and Ruler over all men.
2. Salvation is only by His power, Acts 4:12.
3. Come to Jesus, He will save you.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 26, 2013