Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Titus 2:11-15
Grace: Past, Present and Future
1. We are saved by grace, accessed by faith, Eph. 2:8; Rom. 5:1-2.
2. False doctrines about grace give false hope:
a. New revelations (different gospels void grace), Gal. 1:6-9.
b. Legalism (justified by works – sinlessness makes grace unnecessary), Rom. 4:2-4 (11:6).
c. Keeping law of Moses (salvation by law), Gal. 2:21; 5:3-4.
d. Irresistible and cannot fall from grace (Calvinism), Gal. 5:4.
e. Grace-unity (broadens grace beyond Christ), 2 Jno. 9.
f. All-inclusive (“We welcome diversity” is code for immorality!), Jude 4, 7.
3. God’s grace is magnified and explained in the past, the present and the future, Titus 2:11-15.
I. PAST: THE GRACE OF GOD HAS APPEARED, Titus 2:11 (14).
A. Fullness of Grace Arrived when Jesus Appeared, Jno. 1:14-17.
1. This does not mean grace did not exist before Christ, Gen. 6:8; Deut. 7:7-11.
2. He was the complete embodiment of grace, making know God’s redemptive favor and offering it to all, Gen. 12:3; Rom. 3:24.
3. The fullness of grace explained, Eph. 2:1-10.
B. The Gospel brought Grace to Sinners, Col. 1:5-6; Mk. 16:15; Acts 20:24.
C. Sinners are Saved by Grace when they Obey the Gospel through Faith, Eph. 2:8; Rom. 1:5; 16:25-26.
II. PRESENT: THE GRACE OF GOD IS TEACHING US, Titus 2:12.
A. God’s Grace Teaches what Pleases God, Rom. 5:20-6:2, 12-15.
B. The Word of His Grace (Gospel) Builds Us Up, Acts 20:32.
1. Education (training) in the word has a purpose of conforming our lives to God’s will (“instructing us, to the intent that”, ASV), Tit. 2:12.
2. When we were saved by grace we denied (aorist):
a. Ungodliness: Irreverence, Rom. 3:18 (Psa. 36:1).
b. Worldly lusts: Sinful desires, 1 Jno. 2:16.
3. When we were saved by grace we were taught to (aorist):
a. Live soberly: Self-control, moderation, sound judgment (Tit. 2:6; 1 Ths. 5:6).
b. Live righteously: Upright in character and behavior, just in the treatment of others, cf. 1 Ths. 2:10.
c. Live godly: Piety, God-ward living, in harmony with God’s will, cf. 2 Tim. 3:12. Christians live pure lives, zealous of good works, Tit. 2:14.
III. FUTURE: LOOKING FOR OUR BLESSED HOPE OF CHRIST’S GLORIOUS APPEARING, Titus 2:13.
A. Why We Live by the Word of His Grace: Jesus is Coming Back!
1. Because of grace, we wait expectantly, cf. 2 Pet. 3:12-14.
2. Standing in grace, we rejoice in hope of the glory of God, Rom. 5:2; Col. 3:4; 1:27.
B. The Full Authority of Christ Supports this Message of Grace as well as how We must Live in Grace, Titus 2:15.
-Speak...exhort...rebuke (reprimand)...no one is to disregard the messenger and his message of God’s grace and man’ faith.
1. The “true grace of God” is available to all who will come to Christ in faith, 1 Pet. 5:12.
2. Grace has appeared, it is teaching us, and it will reward the faithful.
-Adapted from outline by Mark Posey, Pulpit Preview
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 13, 2014