Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Romans 1:13-17
THE GOSPEL WE PREACH
1. Believe many Christians want to preach but are not ready to preach.
2. No accident that early Christians went everywhere preaching (Acts 8:4).
a. Prepared with faith (2:42; 8:1-4).
b. Prepared with favor (God’s) (4:29-31).
c. Prepared with fervor (5:40-42).
d. Prepared without fear (undeterred, 8:1-4).
3. Rom. 1:13-15: Paul had planned & was willing to preach in Rome:
a. Ready: pro (before) + thumos (passion, heat, fierceness).
b. He was prepared & eager to preach the gospel.
4. The gospel he preached (we preach) is unique, unparalleled & unrivaled, Gal. 1:11-12.
5. To preach it we must understand & value its unique nature.
I. THE GOSPEL IS PERSUASIVE, Acts 2:40 (26:28); 2 Cor. 5:11.
A. Credible, Believable & Reliable, Acts 26:25; Gal. 1:11.
1. Paul presented the evidence from OT about the Christ & identified Him as Jesus, Acts 17:2-3.
2. Some were persuaded, Acts 17:4.
3. The gospel addresses the heart (intellect & emotion) to save, Rom. 10:8, 13-14.
B. Supported by Miraculous Evidence, cf. Acts 4:16-20; 14:3 (Mk. 16:20; Heb. 2:3-4).
1. NT miracles are God’s testimony that the gospel is genuine.
2. Gospel came “in power” & grants us “much assurance,” 1 Ths. 1:5.
II. THE GOSPEL IS PERVASIVE, 2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:3-4.
A. Touches & Changes Every Part of our Lives, Heb. 4:12.
1. Every relationship; every moral issue.
2. Every trial & victory, every pain & joy: All that is the human experience.
B. All Things Become New When we “Learn Christ,” Eph. 4:20-24 (2 Cor. 5:17).
III. THE GOSPEL IS DEMONSTRATIVE.
A. The Effect of the Gospel on Us Will be Seen, Jas. 1:21-25.
1. Removal of sin & obedience – Changed person.
2. Faith is observable in our lives, Jas. 2:14-26.
IV. THE GOSPEL IS DECLARATIVE, 1 Cor. 2:1-5.
A. Not Giving Mere Suggestions, Col. 1:5-6.
B. Not the Offering of Alternate Views, Matt. 12:30; 2 Ths. 1:8.
1. Not merely an academic study – choices exist!
2. The alternative leads to hell!
C. Not Silent…Militant, 2 Tim. 4:2. (aggressive & confrontational)
1. Militant message: The word (truth, Jno. 14:6).
2. Militant manner: Reprove, rebuke, exhort w/ longsuffering & teaching.
3. Militant moment: Urgently, in season & out of season.
V. THE GOSPEL IS REDEMPTIVE, Rom. 6:17-18.
A. Word of Salvation, Eph. 1:13 (Rom. 1:16).
1. Gospel reveals the redemptive blood of Christ, 1 Pet. 1:18-21.
2. By the gospel, our faith & hope are in God (1:21).
3. Without the gospel there would be no faith…no redemption! 1:22
1. We must live worthy of the gospel, Phil. 1:27-28.
2. Prepared with faith, fervor & God’s favor we can eagerly preach the gospel without fear.
3. Because it is God’s gospel, not ours (Rom. 1:16).