Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Revelation 22:12-17
The Gospel Invitation
1. There was a
time when you did not hear a gospel sermon without it being punctuated
by a gospel invitation.
2. Now, some brethren say offering a “gospel invitation” is “church of Christ tradition” and have stopped offering them.
3. It is unquestionably true that Jesus and His apostles invited people to believe and obey the gospel, Matt. 11:28; Acts 2:40.
-This makes it apostolic tradition, 2 Thess.
1 Cor. 11:2.
4. The Lord offers His gospel invitation to all, Rev. 22:12-17.
5. The Biblical case that the gospel invitation is apostolic tradition, not “church of Christ” tradition.
I. THE GOSPEL INVITATION REFLECTS AN UNDERSTANDING OF CHRIST’S RETURN,
A. Jesus Will Return, Acts 1:9-11; 2 Thess. 1:9-10.
-Quickly - “Without delay” – Assured, Rev. 22:12.
B. Jesus Will Return to Judge All Men, Rev. 22:12.
1. Everyone according to his works, 2 Cor. 5:10.
2. Impartially and completely, Rom. 2:6-11.
-In view of the coming judgment, we urgently invite and implore sinners to believe and obey the gospel to be saved and to be ready for that day.
II. THE GOSPEL INVITATION IS BASED ON JESUS AND WHO HE IS,
A. Jesus is Eternal God, Rev. 22:13.
1. Alpha and Omega, Rev. 1:8 (the Almighty), 1:11 (first in rank, protos and last, the only one).
2. The Beginning and End - (arche: cause, chief cause, origin of all things). Creator and Consummator of all, Jno. 1:1-3; Col. 1:16-18.
B. Jesus is the Savior (Jesus: “Savior,” Jehovah saves), Rev. 22:16.
1. Root and offspring of Jesse, Isa. 11:1-2 (Rom. 1:3). Messiah, King
2. The bright and morning star, Lk. 1:76-79. Brightness, beauty, harbinger of new (eternal) day; He is the Way (Jno. 14:6).
-In view of who Jesus is, we urgently invite and implore sinners to believe and obey His gospel to receive eternal life from Christ (Rev. 22:17).
III. THE GOSPEL INVITATION EXHORTS MAN TO OBEY TO BE SAVED,
A. Those Who Obey are Blessed.
1. Obedient have a right to the tree of life, Rev. 22:1-5 (Rev. 2:7, 5).
2. Obedient are cleansed of sin and enter eternal city, Rev. 22:14-15; 21:2, 26-27.
3. Obedience to the gospel is necessary to be eternally saved, Matt. 7:21; Heb. 5:9; 1 Pet. 4:17-18.
-In view of the blessings of obedience, we urgently invite and implore sinners to believe and obey the gospel.
IV. THE GOSPEL INVITATION WARNS SINNERS OF THEIR ETERNAL DOOM, Rev. 22:15.
A. A Day
of Wrath and Righteous Judgment,
B. Eternal Punishment, 2 Thess. 1:8-9. (hell)
-In view of the eternal punishment of sin, we urgently invite and implore sinners to believe and obey the gospel.
V. THE GOSPEL INVITATION MUST ALWAYS BE OFFERED BECAUSE SALVATION IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE, Rev. 22:17.
A. God and
His Saints Appeal to Sinners to “Come,”
B. All Who Thirst for Salvation Will Come and Be Saved, Jno. 7:37-38; cf. Rom. 10:13, 16-17.
-In view of the constant availability of salvation, we urgently invite and implore sinners to believe and obey the gospel.
1. The apostles handed down the tradition of inviting and imploring sinners to reconciled to God, 2 Cor. 5:20. We follow their tradition by doing the same today. By doing so we establish no new church of Christ tradition.
2. We must always offer the Lord’s invitation whenever we teach the gospel, Rom. 10:13-14.
3. Having heard the gospel, we invite you to come to Jesus and be saved, Matt. 11:28; Rev. 22:17.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 7, 2019