The Gospel of Christ
1. Not everyone knows what the gospel of Christ is (euangelion - "Good news, good message").
a. Some limit "gospel" to news about Christ (not his teachings given through His apostles). (Ketcherside quotes)
b. These make "gospel" and "doctrine" mutually exclusive.
2. But: Gospel includes doctrine (1 Tim. 1:8-11), and doctrine includes gospel (2 Tim. 3:16). No such distinction exists.
3. The importance of the gospel cannot be overstated. We must know the gospel so that we can obey the gospel to the saving of our souls.
I. THE GOSPEL IS THE GOOD NEWS OF JESUS CHRIST - 1 Cor. 15:1-5.
A. It is the Preaching of Jesus Christ - Rom. 16:25.
1. Both of His actions and deeds - 1 Cor. 15:3-5;
2. And of His teachings - Jno. 16:12-13; Lk. 10:16.
B. The Gospel is for all the World - Mk. 16:15-16; Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 10:34-35.
C. The Gospel is Nothing to be Ashamed of - Rom. 1:16.
1. Because God loved us enough to give His Son for us - Jno. 3:16.
2. Because it is the message of peace - Eph. 2:14-18.
3. Because by a knowledge of it sinners are saved - 1 Tim. 2:3-4.
4. Because by obeying it we are saved - Heb. 5:8-9.
II. THE GOSPEL IS GOD'S MESSAGE TO MAN - Heb. 1:1-2.
A. Revelation of God's Mind - Gal. 1:11-12; Rom. 16:25-26.
1. 1 Cor. 2:7 (Rom. 16:25), 13, 16 - Apostolic preaching.
B. Any Other Gospel Condemns both Teacher and Recipient - Gal. 1:6-9; 2 Jno. 9-10.
C. By it God Calls Sinners to Salvation - 2 Ths. 2:13-14 (Rom. 2:11).
D. Therefore, We must Boldly Proclaim it - Eph. 6:19; 1 Pet. 4:11 (Jno. 15:18-20).
1. In spite of opposition from false teachers and false brethren.
2. In spite of opposition from our families and friends.
III. THE GOSPEL PROFITS US WHEN MIXED WITH FAITH - Heb. 4:2; Rom. 10:17. Cf. Jas. 1:21-27; 2:14-26.
IV. THE GOSPEL ENDURES FOREVER - 1 Pet. 1:22-25.
A. The Word of Christ will not Pass Away - Matt. 24:35.
-Can rely on it.
B. The Gospel of Christ is the Word of Eternal Life - Jno. 6:63, 68 (14:6).
C. The Word of Christ will Judge Us in the Last Day - Jno. 12:48-50.
1. Rom. 10:16-17 - Saving faith comes from hearing and obeying the gospel.
2. Do you believe the gospel report? Then obey it and be saved.
Quotations: WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?
#1 - "What is the gospel? Before one can designate a thing as another gospel he must be able to identify the original gospel. The gospel, by etymology, is good news. It is not a system of doctrine, a philosophy of life or a code of ethics. It is good news about a person and what that person has done for us in our helpless, hapless and hopeless condition. It is not a message for the saved but for the lost. It is never addressed to the church but to the world. It is designed to make believers instead of providing food for them." ("Another Gospel," Twisted Scriptures, Mission Messenger Publication, 1965, pp. 4, 7-9)
#2 - The gospel "consisted of the life, death, burial, resurrection, ascension, coronation and glorification of Jesus." (Mission Messenger, Dec. 1972, p. 180)
#3 - Not one apostolic letter is a part of the gospel of Christ the Roman letter was not a part of the gospel...the letter to the Galatians was not a part of the gospel." (Mission Messenger, Feb. 1973, p. 20)