Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalm 63
Created for Good Works
1. Good works are not the source of our salvation Eph. 2:8-9.
2. Good works are the result of being saved in Christ Eph. 2:10.
a. Men may do good works & still be lost Matt. 7:22 (Ac 10:2; 11:14).
b. But everyone who is faithful to Christ will walk in good works Eph. 2:10.
3. What are these good works & how do we succeed in doing them?
I. GOD CREATES US (SAVES US) IN CHRIST SO WE MAY WALK IN GOOD WORKS Eph. 2:10.
A. God Defines the Good Works We are to Walk in Heb. 13:21.
1. He has already prepared them Eph. 2:10.
2. His inspired scripture define them & equip us to do them 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
3. What are good works? (Cf. Jno. 6:27-29)
a. Good work = Doing Gods will Heb. 13:21.
b. Do good works = Well pleasing in Gods sight Heb. 13:21.
B. Your Good Works are Observable 1 Tim. 5:25.
1. To people Matt. 5:16; 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
2. To God Matt. 6:2-4.
3. But, our motive in them is not to be seen by men!
C. Your Good Works are Influential Matt. 5:13, 16; 1 Pet. 2:12; cf. 1 Cor. 9:22. (They can help save a soul from death, or make it easier for others to be lost.)
D. Your Good Works Are Not in Vain 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. By them God is accomplishing His work in this world Heb. 13:21.
2. Rest comes to those who labor now Rev. 14:13 (Heb. 4:10).
II. IN ORDER TO WALK IN GOOD WORKS WE MUST BE:
A. Be a Pattern of Good Works Titus 2:7.
1. An example; a form to follow; a figure formed by a blow or impression cf. Phil. 3:17; 1 Tim. 4:12.
2. Since your good works are observable & influential they are to be an example for others to follow.
3. Like Titus, we are to be examples for Christ in word, attitude, worship, character, service, etc.
B. Be Zealous for Good Works Titus 2:14.
1. Burning with, most eagerly desirous of, fervent, burning desire.
2. We are to stir up good works in each other Heb. 10:24.
3. It is not a burden but a joy to walk in good works of God! 1 Jno. 5:3; 2:5
4. Do not begrudge (resent) doing the good works of God.
C. Be Ready for Every Good Work Titus 3:1.
1. Prepared, ready, using opportunities (Gal. 6:10; Eph. 5:16).
2. Readiness implies watchfulness & faithfulness to do what is good cf. Matt. 24:42-46 (1 Tim. 6:17-19).
3. Shows wisdom rather than selfish ambitions cf. Col. 4:5-6.
D. Be Careful to Maintain Good Works Titus 3:8.
1. Careful: to think, to be careful, thoughtful to give attention to.
2. Maintain: To set or place before; give attention to; to be a protector or guardian.
3. cf. Dorcas Acts 9:36: Full of good works (9:39) She was thoughtful & careful to continue to attend to good works.
a. By giving diligent attention to Gods word 2 Tim. 2:15.
b. By looking for opportunities & then doing the good works.
5. No room for neglect / apathy in carefully maintaining good works!
E. Learn to Maintain Good Works Titus 3:14.
1. Increase our knowledge by use & practice; to be in the habit of (cf. Heb. 5:8).
2. Establish a habit of good works cf. 1 Jno. 3:7, 10.
3. And so, be fruitful in the Lords service cf. Gal. 5:22-23.
1. God has prepared good works for all who are in Christ Eph. 2:10.
2. Only those who do the good works of God are pleasing to Him Heb. 13:21.
3. Be saved in Christ so that you can walk in the good works that please God & be rewarded by Him! (Gal. 3:26-27; Heb. 11:6)