Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:19-23
1. “Good eye”: Sees clearly and effectively (cf. target shooter, hunter, basketball player, photographer, carpenter, star-gazer, etc.).
2. Sight is used to speak of man’s spiritual perception, Matt. 13:14-15.
a. An eye is likened to a lamp which shows the body which way to move and turn..., Lk. 11:34.
b. EYE: “metaph. the eyes of the mind, the faculty of knowing” (Thayer, Online Bible).
I. OUR EYES MUST BE FOCUSED UPON HEAVENLY TREASURES, Matt. 6:19-23.
A. We must Open our Eyes so We Will:
1. Believe Jesus and be saved from sin, Jno. 9:35-41.
2. Be converted to Christ, Acts 26:18.
3. Have spiritual discernment, 1 Cor. 2:14-16.
4. Know the blessings we have from God, Eph. 1:17-19.
B. We must have Spiritual Perception in Order to Know:
1. What is and is not heavenly treasure, 6:19-20 (Matt. 13:44).
2. That our heart is where it should be, 6:21 (Col. 3:1-4).
3. Conduct which is pure and in truth, 6:22 (a “trained eye”, Lk. 6:40).
C. Our Eyes (Spiritual Perception) must be Focused on Heavenly Treasures, Matt. 6:19-23.
1. SINGLE: “1) simple, single....2) whole...3) good fulfilling its office, sound... 3a) of the eye” (Thayer, Online Bible).
2. A focused eye can do great things for God, 6:22; Lk. 11:34-36.
3. A distracted eye is deadly to the soul, 6:23 (cf. Matt. 6:33-34).
II. LET US RAISE THE LEVEL OF OUR SPIRITUAL PERCEPTION SO THAT WE HAVE EYES THAT SEE (know) THE VALUE OF:
A. Lost Souls, Lk. 15:8-10.
1. Worth our inconvenience, hard work, diligent sacrifice to help even one sinner repent! (cf. Lift up your eyes and see the harvest, Jno. 4:35)
2. How we see lost souls will determine our actions toward the lost - Jas. 5:19-20 (discarded, or distressed by sin and needing to be rescued?!).
B. The Truth of the Gospel, Prov. 23:23; Psa. 19:8, 10-11; 119:127-128.
1. Affects how we view hearing and obeying God’s word, false teaching, those who love the truth and those who do not.
2. As we see the truth with spiritual eyes, we will lay it up in our hearts (Psa. 119:11); defend it (Phil. 1:17); contend for it (Jude 3); live it (Lk. 6:46).
C. Gospel Preaching, 1 Cor. 1:18-25; Rom. 10:8-17.
1. Affects whether we want to listen to it; support it with our time, money, whole life, use it to save the lost.
2. As we see gospel preaching as God sees it, we will demand it and properly receive it, 2 Tim. 4:2-5.
D. The Church of Christ, 1 Tim. 3:15; Eph. 1:22-23; 3:21; 5:25-27.
1. Affects how we treat her: Respect, love, concern, unity, honor, service; or with negligence, selfishness, pettiness, arrogance and boasting.
2. As we see the church for what it is we will give ourselves to the task of working effectively as members of it, Eph. 4:16.
E. Heaven, Rev. 21:1.
1. Affects whether being a devout Christian is most important to us.
2. We can and must see heaven with eyes of faith, Heb. 11:13-16.
1. Keep your eyes on Jesus, Heb. 12:1-2.
2. “If your eye is good (single, clear), your whole body will be full of light” (Matt. 6:22).