THE GOOD CONFESSION
1. Matt. 16:13-17 - Peter confessed his faith in Jesus & was blessed for
it. Cf. 1 Tim. 6:12-13: The "good confession".
2. "It is very generally admitted that some sort of a confession of something should
be made by everyone at sometime prior to admission into the church of God; but what this
confession is, how & when it should be made, & its office in the plan of
salvation" have been disputed for centuries (The Gospel Plan of Salvation, Brents,
3. What is this confession? How is it made? When is it made? Why is it made? (Is it
necessary for salvation from sins?)
I. CONFESSION IS AN OPEN DECLARATION OF THE CONVICTION OF ONE'S HEART.
A. Definition: "Acknowledgement, avowal" (ISBE); cf. Jno. 1:21.
1. HOMOLOGEO (v) - "Lit., to speak the same thing...to assent,
accord, agree with" (Vine, 120). ["profession" (KJV), 1 Tim. 6:12)
2. A confession:
a. Is a statement which places one in agreement with others
(with God, Matt. 16:16-17; with Jesus, with the gospel truth, with Christians).
b. Implies a change of conviction &/or conduct.
c. Is public in nature - Jno. 9:22; 12:42.
d. Is the expression of a conviction of heart - Rom. 10:10.
B. What Must Be Confessed? (2 general classifications)
1. The confession of sins - Matt. 3:6; Acts 19:18; 1 Jno. 1:9; Jas.
a. When baptized such a confession is implied - Matt. 3:6;
b. For a Christian to be forgiven - 1 Jno. 1:9; Jas. 5:16.
2. The confession of faith (that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God,
Matt. 10:32; 16:16; Acts 8:36-37; Rom. 10:9-10).
a. 1 Tim. 6:12-13 - Confession Timothy made was the same
one Jesus made before Pilate.
b. Jno. 18:37 - King who came into the world.
c. Rest of this study will be about the confession of
C. How Does One Make This Confession Of Faith?
1. Verbally - Rom. 10:9. Acknowledgement of the deity of Jesus.
2. Before men (publicly) - Matt. 10:32; 1 Tim. 6:12.
-Acknowledgement of Jesus & an avowal to obey Him in
II. THE CONFESSION OF FAITH IS A CONDITION OF SALVATION - Rom.
10:9-10. (It precedes one's salvation.)
A. The Confession of Faith Is After One Believes.
1. Obvious, or it is a lie & hypocritical.
2. Matt. 16:15-17 - Faith is produced by the Father's testimony of
Jesus (Jno. 5:36-37; 20:30-31; Rom. 10:17).
3. Faith in Christ causes a public acknowledgement of one's faith.
B. Confession of Faith is Before Baptism - Mk. 16:16.
-Acts 8:35-38 - After faith was produced & before baptism &
salvation (Rom. 10:10).
C. Confession of Faith in Jesus is Necessary for Fellowship with God - 1 Jno. 4:15.
1. Saved relationship with God.
2. cf. 5:5 - Confession affirms faith, which overcomes the world!
III. THE GOOD CONFESSION:
A. Is a Declaration of Faith - 1 Tim. 6:12-13.
1. Faith cannot be held as a private conviction (Jno. 9:22; 12:42).
2. Matt. 10:28, 32-33 - In times of persecution, make confession!
B. Puts One Under Obligation To Obey Christ in All Things (Lk. 6:46).
1. Matt. 16:16; 17:5 - Hear ye Him!
2. 1 Tim. 6:11-14 - Flee, follow, fight and keep - Blameless!
3. 2 Tim. 2:12 - Endure & do not deny Him.
C. Will Be Seen In One's Obedient Life.
1. 2 Cor. 9:13 - Obedience of your confession glorifies God.
2. Heb. 4:14; 10:23 - Hold fast our confession (profession) - The
obedient life acknowledges our hope.
3. Tit. 1:16 - Disobedience denies Jesus (Matt. 10:33)!
1. Have you made the good confession?
2. You cannot be saved without doing so! (Rom. 10:9-10)