Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 28:16-20
The GO in the Gospel
1. Jesus commissioned his apostles to “go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mk. 16:15).
a. They went out and preached, Mk. 16:20.
b. They were witnesses of what they had seen and heard, Acts 1:8; 22:15.
c. Revelation, inspiration and confirmation of gospel (Heb. 2:3-4).
2. The apostles accomplished their work, Col. 1:23; 2 Tim. 4:7.
3. Does the great commission continue to call us to action today?
a. Certainly not as apostles.
b. Yet, they were commissioned to teach Christians “to observe all things that I have commanded you” (Matt. 28:20), thus including a responsibility to spread the gospel.
4. The Lord expects us to go and teach the gospel:
a. Spread of gospel not limited to the apostles, Acts 8:4, 26.
b. Commit the gospel to faithful men to teach others, 2 Tim. 2:2.
c. Ongoing teaching of disciples (Matt. 28:20); 1 Ths. 5:27; Col. 4:16.
5. The way the apostles reached the world with the gospel is how Christians continue to reach the world. They reached the world…
I. BY MAKING DISCIPLES, Matt. 28:19.
A. God Calls the Lost with Gospel Teaching, Jno. 6:44-45; Rom. 10:8-13, 14-17.
1. Hear and learn from the Father by hearing the word of God.
* 2. Gospel meeting next week a great chance for the lost to hear God’s call to be saved.
B. Make Disciples by Gospel Preaching, Acts 2:14, 22, 36, 40.
1. Teach what must be done with the words commanded by God; the word of the gospel, Acts 10:5-6, 22, 33; 11:14; 15:7.
2. Preaching saves believers, 1 Cor. 1:21; Rom. 10:14-17.
3. It is God’s will that the gospel is preached, Acts 16:9-10.
* 4. Gospel meeting next week a great chance to make disciples.
C. Disciples are not Made by the Gospels of Men:
1. Social gospel: Converted to recreation and social activities.
2. Ecumenical gospel: Unity in moral & doctrinal diversity is sin (Gal. 1:8-9; 2 Jno. 9-11).
3. Denominational gospels: Papacy, faith only, universalism, etc.
4. Latter-day gospels: LDS, JW’s, Adventists, Premillennial, etc.
II. BY BAPTIZING BELIEVERS, Matt. 28:19.
A. Water Baptism is Essential:
1. For a relationship with God, Matt. 28:19 (Gal. 3:27).
2. For salvation, Mk. 16:16 (1 Pet. 3:21).
3. For remission of sins, Acts 2:38.
4. For cleansing, Acts 22:16.
5. For new life in Christ, Rom. 6:3-4.
III. BY TEACHING CONVERTS, Matt. 28:20.
A. Bible Teaching and Learning is to a New Christian what Milk is to a New Baby, 1 Pet. 2:2; cf. Acts 2:41, 46; 5:12, 42.
1. God measures spiritual strength and maturity by our interest in, our commitment to and our growth in learning and living God’s word, Heb. 5:11-12.
2. Examine ourselves and assess our spiritual growth.
* 3. Gospel meeting next week a great chance to grow; will we use it or excuse ourselves from it?
1. The only way we can reach the world today for Christ is through the gospel.
2. Any other means of “outreach” may increase numbers but, at the expense of truth, they are vain (Matt. 15:7-9).
3. Challenge before us: Will we “go” and teach someone?