Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: James 1:21-25
Do You See Yourself in God's Mirror?
1. We use mirrors multiple times a day. Why?
a. Because we care how we look to ourselves and to others.
b. cf. Car: To see where weíve been, whatís behind us, and where to go when we put the car in reverse.
2. How often do you look at yourself in Godís mirror? I mean, really look at yourself, Jas. 1:21-25.
3. When you look at yourself in Godís mirror, do you remember what you see?
a. Yes, if you are putting away the sin you see, 1:21.
b. Yes, if you are obeying the word instead of just hearing it, 1:22.
c. No, if you are not doing what you see the words says to do.
d. No, if you see others, but not yourself.
I. PAUL: SOMEONE WHO REMEMBERED WHAT HE SAW IN GODíS MIRROR, 1 Tim. 1:12-16.
A. Paul Remembered Who and What He Was Before Conversion.
1. A conscientious person, Acts 23:1.
2. A religious zealot, ignorant of the truth of Christ, Acts 26:9; Gal. 1:13-14; Phil. 3:4-7.
3. A sinner: Blasphemer, persecutor, violently arrogant, and ignorant unbeliever, 1 Tim. 1:13.
B. Consider Who and What Paul Was After Conversion.
1. Obedient, Acts 26:19-20 (9:6-8; 22:15-16).
2. Lived by faith in Christ, obeying Him, Gal. 2:20.
3. Lived with heavenly values and goals, Phil. 3:7-11.
4. Went the final round, finished the race and kept the faith, 2 Tim. 4:6-8.
II. FELIX: SOMEONE WHO DID NOT REMEMBER WHAT HE SAW IN GODíS MIRROR, Acts 24:22-27.
A. Felix Already had Knowledge of the Way, 24:22.
B. Felix Heard the Gospel from the Apostle Paul, 24:24-25.
1. He heard what he needed to hear, 24:24.
2. He reacted with fright (terrified), 24:25.
3. He heard Paul repeatedly, 24:26.
C. Felix Refused to Obey the Gospel, 24:25-27.
1. He was all about seeking a personal advantage (v. 26).
2. So, he used Paul as a political pawn (v. 27).
3. Felix and Drusilla were lost in their sins. Drusilla died in eruption of Mt. Vesuvius (24Aug79).
III. WHICH OF THESE MEN REFLECTS YOU WHEN YOU LOOK INTO GODíS MIRROR?
A. Are You Like Paul?
1. When you read the Bible, do you learn and admit your sins?
2. Do you use the Bible for self-inspection? 2 Cor. 13:5
a. Introspection: ďthe detailed mental examination of your own feelings, thoughts, and motives.Ē (Encarta Dictionary)
b. Do you examine yourself using Godís word (the mind of Christ) to measure yourself? 1 Cor. 2:13-16
3. Do you use the Bible to identify and correct your sins? 2 Tim. 3:16-17; Heb. 4:12
B. Are You Like Felix?
1. When you hear Godís word, are you frightened by it?
-But, do you fail to act on that fear (follow up) to do what it says? Rom. 2:5-6
2. Do you know Godís word, yet allow other motives and concerns crowd it out of your life? Mk. 4:18-19
3. When you look into the Bible, is it to serve yourself rather than the will of God? Acts 24:26-27
1. Jesus said, ďIf you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.Ē (John 13:17)
2. Let us be doers of the work of God instead of forgetful hearers, Jas. 1:25.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 5, 2018