Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 40:1-5
Do You Really Want God's Help?
1. Jesus expressed the Almighty’s desire to help us – to give us what we truly need. God wants to help! Matt 11:28-30
2. Psa 145:17-21: David praises God for His greatness and for the abiding care He gives His faithful ones.
I. GOD WANTS TO HELP YOU…
A. Be Saved from Your Sins, 145:17-18 (1 Tim 2:3-4).
1. God’s great mercy, love and grace, Psa 145:8-9 (Eph 2:4-5).
2. Do you know the danger you are in? Acts 16:27-30
B. Be Happy in your Life, 145:19 (16).
1. Godly desires (cf. 1 Pet 3:10-12).
2. God is the Provider of all good things! Psa 145:14-16
3. Happy because God is our Helper! Psa 146:5
C. Be Sustained in (make it through) Times of Trouble, 145:19-20; Psa 50:15; 46:1.
1. Concentrate on solutions (trusts in God) not problems (leads to self-pity, etc.)
2. Concentrate on your present work and purpose, not the past trial or the potential of future trouble, since both of these are out of your hands, Matt 6:27, 33-34.
a. Apostles beaten: (Past, Acts 5:40)…Future (Acts 5:40, 42)…Present (Acts 5:41).
b. Harassed for your faith? cf. Matt 5:10-12; Paul and Silas: Past (Acts 16:22-25)…Future (35-37)…Present (26-34).
c. Lost your job? Past…Future…Present, Matt 6:31-34; Psa 37:25.
d. Battling illness? Past…Future…Present, cf. 2 Kgs 6:14-17.
II. TO BE HELPED BY GOD WE MUST…
A. Call upon Him (145:18) (Ask for God’s help!).
1. In truth (in harmony with truth).
a. Prayer for the Christian, cf. Psa 55:16; Acts 1:14; 4:23-24; 12:5; 8:22-24; 1 Jno 1:9.
b. Prayer is not the starting point if you are not a Christian, 1 Pet 3:12.
2. Keep perspective, cf. Eccl 5:2. (How small things are from space; flight across the country); cf. 1 Pet 5:7 Our “big” concerns in truth are often quite “small” – we must see that God is able to help even when we think our problem is too big to change!
B. Reverence Him, Psa 145:19; Psa 111:9; 89:7.
1. Honor Him in worship, Psa 145:1-3 (Jno 4:24; Heb 13:15).
2. Honor Him in words, Psa 19:14.
a. Thanksgiving (gratitude, 145:21), Col 3:15.
b. Where there is thankfulness there is peace and joy.
C. Love Him (145:20).
1. God helps us, not because we are lovable; He loves us in spite of ourselves!
2. God is completely lovable! (“God is love”, 1 Jno 4:8); we have every reason to love Him.
3. We love God by submissively obeying Him, Jno 14:15.
III. THE RESULT OF OBTAINING GOD’S HELP, 145:21.
A. Speak God’s Praise to Others, 145:21.
1. Teach God’s will to others, Psa 145:5-7, 10-13 (51:12-13).
2. Influence the people around you, Matt 5:16.
B. Be Faithful and Avoid Wickedness, 145:20.
1. Faithfulness honors Christ, cf. Jno 20:28-29.
2. Faithful and wise servant is blessed, Matt 24:45-51.
1. Going to God for His help requires faith (1 Jno 5:4).
2. The arm of flesh will fail you, but the Lord will always help you! Psa 146:3-9
3. “To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (Jno 6:68)