GOD KNOWS YOUR HEART!
1. Psa. 17:3; 44:21; 139:1-4 - God tests our hearts, knows our secrets & understands our thoughts!
2. God tests our hearts & rewards/punishes accordingly - Jer. 17:9-10.
3. So, we must purify our hearts before Him! - Matt. 5:8; Jas. 4:8
4. Scientists think they have made a breakthrough in detecting liars: Brain activity changes when you lie (cf. Polygraph: Reads physiological responses such as perspiration rates, blood pressure & heartbeat). "Scientist:
Lies come from brain, not heart" (The Bellingham Herald, A6, 4/9/02).
5. Examine this news item to see that the Bible has revealed this knowledge all along! (cf. 1 Cor. 1:20-25)
I. Scientist: "Lies come from brain, not heart"
A. The Heart of Man is the Seat of Life.
1. This heart is neither the blood pump nor the brain itself, but the mind or inner being of man - cf. 2 Sam. 18:14; Acts 2:37; 1 Pet. 3:4.
2. The mind is the "heart" from which lies (evil) proceed - Acts 5:2-4.
3. This heart affects the body! - cf. Matt. 12:34-35; 15:19
B. The Bible Heart is the Mind - Heb. 8:10; 10:16.
1. Thinks - Matt. 9:4. (The heart is the place our intellect exists.)
2. Reasons (purposes) - Mk. 2:6; Acts 5:4. (Will is exercised in the heart.)
3. Emotions - Acts 2:37; 7:54. (Source of emotion - the heart.)
4. Conscience - Heb. 10:22. (Conscience is in the heart.)
II. GOD UNDERSTANDS EVERY HEART & THE INTENTS OF OUR THOUGHTS -
A. We Can't Fool God About What is in Our Heart - Psa. 64:5-6.
1. cf. Polygraph: Not admissible evidence because people can train themselves to appear to be telling the truth when they are lying.
2. God's "lie detector" is always reliable What He says is in our hearts is accurate! - Jer. 17:9-10; Heb. 4:13
3. We won't pass God's lie detector test!
B. The Lord Has Always Been Able to Detect Evil in the Minds of Men - Prov. 12:20.
1. Matt. 9:4 - Jesus knew their evil thoughts! (cf. Mk. 2:6-8)
2. Thus, we should have loyal hearts before God - 1 Chron. 28:9 (Prov. 23:7; Lk. 6:45).
3. God already sees & knows what is going on inside your head! - Jer. 17:10 (Rev. 2:23); Acts 1:24 (cf. Mark 2:8)
III. WHAT IS IN OUR MIND WILL GET TO GOD'S BAR OF JUSTICE! - 1 Cor. 4:5; Rom. 2:16; Psa. 7:9-10; Jer. 17:9-10
1. Prov. 4:23 - Guard your heart diligently!
2. Phil. 4:8-9 - Think on good things & do what is right!