DO YOU ALSO WANT TO GO AWAY?
1. Not everyone who listened to Jesus believed Him. And, not all who started
to follow Him remained a loyal follower - many "went back and walked with Him no
more" (Jno. 6:66).
2. Scripture is full of warnings of this danger & of descriptions of those who turn
away from following Christ: Heb. 3:12-13; 2 Pet. 2:20-22; 1 Jno. 2:18-19, 22-23.
3. Reasons are the same today as then for why people turn away from Christ & the
I. OFFENDED BY THE TRUTH - Jno. 6:60-66.
A. The Gospel is Too Stern & Intolerable for Many.
1. cf. How to be saved (baptism; Mk. 16:16); attending worship services
(Heb. 10:25); giving as prospered (1 Cor. 16:2); no instrumental music in worship (Eph.
5:19); no women preachers (1 Tim. 2:11-12); one true church (Eph. 4:4); divorce &
remarriage (Matt. 19:9); moral purity (Rom. 12:2).
2. This is unbelief, pure & simple - Jno. 6:63-64.
3. Must love the truth or we will perish - 2 Ths. 2:10.
4. Unbelieving will be eternally lost - Rev. 21:8.
II. FEAR - Matt. 26:31-33, 56 (69-75).
A. Of What Others Will Say or Do if one is Faithful to Christ - Matt. 10:28, 31,
34-39 (stigmatized, ostracized, marginalized in society).
1. A choice of masters is before each of us - Rev. 13:16-17!
2. Assurance of Christ comforts & sustains the faithful - Rev.
3. Remember your calling & endure Heb. 10:32-36.
III. LOVE OF THIS PRESENT WORLD - 2 Tim. 4:10.
A. The Attraction & Affection for Physical Pleasure, Pursuits & Preferences
Turns Many Souls Back to Sin - 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
1. Cares of this world, deceitfulness of riches & cares of others
things - Choke out the word of God - Mk. 4:18-19!
2. Deceived by the pleasure of unrighteousness - 2 Ths. 2:11-12.
3. Wake up, be vigilant, understand that the attractions of the world
cause eternal death - Put on the Lord & make no provision for fleshly lusts - Rom.
IV. HARDENED HEARTS - Acts 28:23-28.
A. Hearts Can Be Hardened by:
1. Unbelief (28:24)
2. Sin (Heb. 3:12-13)
3. Envy (Acts 13:44-46)
4. False teaching (1 Tim. 4:1-2)
5. False sense of time & security (1 Ths. 5:1-3)
B. Keep An Open Heart - Acts 16:14 (2 Cor. 7:2).
V. REFUSAL TO SACRIFICE IN ORDER TO PUT CHRIST FIRST - Matt.
A. His Love of His Possessions Revealed the True Problem: Failure to Put Christ
First in Everything!
1. Before possessions - Matt. 19:23-26.
2. Before family, before comfort, before life itself - Lk. 14:25-27;
B. The Ease of Life Which Wealth Brings Tempts Us to Turn Away from the Sacrificial
Living of a Disciple - 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
VI. GROW DISCOURAGED & WEARY - Gal. 6:9.
A. Of Doing Good - 2 Ths. 3:13.
B. Of Fighting the Good Fight of Faith - 1 Tim. 6:12.
C. Remember Jesus & His Reward - Heb. 12:3 (Rev. 2:3); 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. Turning back from Christ is unbelief - Heb. 10:35-39.
2. We need enduring faith when tempted, so we do not turn away.
3. "Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no
pleasure in him." (Heb. 10:38)