Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 6:60-68
Do You Also Want to Go Away?
1. Not everyone who listened to Jesus believed Him. And, not all who started to follow Him remained a loyal follower – many “went back and walked with Him no more” (Jno. 6:67).
2. Scripture is full of warnings of this danger and of descriptions of those who turn away from following Christ, Heb. 3:12-13; 2 Pet. 2:20-22; 1 Jno. 2:18-19, 22-23.
3. Reasons are the same today as then for why people turn away from Christ and the gospel.
I. OFFENDED BY THE TRUTH, Jno. 6:60-67.
A. The Gospel is Too Demanding, too Stern for Many (Matt. 7:14).
1. cf. How to be saved (baptism; Mk. 16:16); Worship attendance (Heb. 10:25); giving as prospered (1 Cor. 16:2); no instrumental music in worship (Eph. 5:19); no women preachers (1 Tim. 2:11-12); one true church (Eph. 4:4); divorce and remarriage (Matt. 19:9); moral purity (Rom. 12:2).
2. This is unbelief, pure and simple, Jno. 6:63-64.
3. Must love the truth or we will perish, 2 Thess. 2:10.
4. Unbelieving will be eternally lost, Rev. 21:8.
II. FEAR, Matt. 26:31-33, 56 (69-75).
A. Of What Others Will Say or Do if One is Faithful to Christ, Matt. 10:28, 31, 34-39 (stigmatized, ostracized, marginalized in society).
1. A choice of masters is before each of us, Rev. 13:16-17.
2. Assurance of Christ comforts and sustains the faithful, Rev. 2:10.
3. Remember your calling and endure, Heb. 10:32-36.
III. LOVE OF THIS PRESENT WORLD, 2 Tim. 4:10.
A. The Attraction and Affection for Physical Pleasure, Pursuits and Preferences Turns Many Souls Back to Sin, Rom. 12:2.
1. Cares of this world, deceitfulness of riches and cares of other things – Choke out the word of God, Mk. 4:18-19.
2. Deceived by the pleasure of unrighteousness, 2 Thess. 2:11-12.
3. Wake up, be vigilant, understand that the attractions of the world cause eternal death – Put on the Lord and make no provision for fleshly lusts, Rom. 13:11-14 (12:2).
IV. HARDENED HEARTS, Acts 28:23-29.
A. Hearts Can Be Hardened By:
1. Unbelief (28:24)
2. Sin (Heb. 3:12-13)
3. Envy (Acts 13:44-46)
4. False teaching (1 Tim. 4:1-2)
5. False sense of time and security (1 Thess. 5:1-3)
B. Keep an Open Heart, Acts 16:14 (2 Cor. 7:2).
V. REFUSAL TO SACRIFICE TO PUT CHRIST FIRST, Matt. 19:16-22.
A. Failure to Put Christ First in Everything.
- His love of his possessions was the real problem.
1. Before possessions, Matt. 19:23-26.
2. Before family, comfort, life itself, Lk. 14:25-27; 9:23.
B. The Ease of Life that Wealth Brings Tempts Us to Turn Away from the Sacrificial Living of a Disciple, 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
VI. GROW DISCOURAGED AND WEARY, Gal. 6:9.
A. Of Doing Good, 2 Thess. 3:13.
B. Of Fighting the Good Fight of Faith, 1 Tim. 6:12.
C. Remember Jesus and His Reward, Heb. 12:3 (Rev. 2:3); 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. Turning back from Christ is unbelief, Heb. 10:35-39.
2. We need enduring faith when tempted, so we do not turn away.
3. “Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.” (Heb. 10:38)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted May 1, 2019