TRULY A FOOL
1. April Fools' Day - Practical jokes at another's expense are fun, harmless. (April Fool: the target of a joke or trick played on April Fools' Day).
2. Bible discusses some people whose decisions & conduct are foolish & there is nothing funny about it!
3. Fool: "a person lacking in judgment or prudence."
a. Not: imbecile, idiot, moron, simpleton or dimwit.
b. One whose decisions & conduct reveals a lack of sound, spiritual judgment and wisdom.
4. Contrast: Phil. 1:9-11.
5. Every day the true fool is the person who
I. SAYS THERE IS NO GOD - Psa. 14:1 (53:1).
A. It May Be He Ignores The Evidence For God's Presence & Power - Rom. 1:19-21; cf. Psa. 92:6.
B. It May Be He Accepts As Truth The "Wisdom" Of Unbelievers - Col. 2:8.
C. It May Be He Refuses To Acknowledge The Truth Of God - Acts 17:22-23, 32
II. DOES NOT CONTROL HIMSELF.
A. Does Not Control His Tongue (Prov. 19:1):
1. Foolish talking - Prov. 10:8, 10; cf. 29:11, 20; Eccl. 5:3.
2. Deceptive speech - Prov. 10:18
3. Contention & strife (arguing) - Prov. 18:6-7; 20:3.
B. Does Not Control His Emotions - Prov. 12:16; 27:3.
C. Does Not Control The Desires Of His Flesh - Prov. 7:6-23.
1. The folly of adultery - Prov. 6:23-29. Destroys soul, families, lives, influences, etc.
2. "Now listen!" - 7:24-27.
III. IGNORES THE DANGERS OF SIN - Prov. 10:23.
A. Rejoices In The Pleasures In Sin - 2:14; 15:21 (Heb. 11:25; Jas. 4:3-4).
B. The Wise Person Fears & Flees Evil - Prov. 14:16.
IV. IS RIGHT IN HIS OWN EYES - Prov. 12:15; 28:26.
-(Refuses godly counsel & wise advice.)
A. Speaks Out Of Pride - 14:3.
1. "I am right!" Refuses to accept the evidence of truth & the call of reason.
2. Prov. 26:5 - Must answer this sort according to his folly to show the folly of pride.
B. Doesn't Accept Correction - Prov. 17:10.
-Prov. 26:4 - Don't answer according to his folly lest you become one who rejects correction, too!
C. He Is The "Expert" On Everything - Eccl. 10:12-14.
V. DOES NOT LISTEN TO THE INSTRUCTION OF HIS PARENTS - Prov. 15:5 (1:8); cf. Psa. 32:8-9.
VI. DOES NOT PREPARE HIS SOUL FOR DEATH - Lk. 12:20.
A. He Is Covetous, Living For Himself & The Present Moment - 12:13- 15, 19.
B. He Is Not Ready To Answer To God For His Life - 12:20-21.
1. Prov. 17:21 - The fool brings sorrow to himself & those who love him.
2. Prov. 26:11 - Will you gain wisdom by acting wisely, or like the dog that returns to its vomit, will you repeat the foolishness of your life?
3. Repent & obey God - Don't be a fool!