Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Philippians 3:7-14
Five "Firsts" to Success
1. The Bible reveals God's formulas for success:
a. Marriage, Gen. 2:24.
b. Overcoming anxiety, Phil. 4:4-7.
c. Life, 1 Pet. 3:10-12 (Eccl. 12:13).
2. Five practical things we can do that lead to success and fulfillment in life, and more than that, help secure eternal life in Christ.
I. GIVE GOD THE FIRST HOUR OF EACH DAY.
A. To Pray, Mk. 1:35; 1 Thess. 5:17. Example: Psalm 26
B. To Read the Scriptures, Matt. 12:3, 5; 19:4; Psa. 119:33-40.
-One-year Scripture reading plan (in our bulletin).
C. To Meditate on God's Word, Psa. 1:1-2; 119:97.
-Sword Tips, The Spirit's Sword...
II. GIVE GOD THE FIRST DAY OF EVERY WEEK.
A. In Order to Worship God, Acts 20:7; Psa. 122:1.
B. In Order to Encourage Brethren, 1 Cor. 14:26; Col. 3:16; Heb. 10:24-25. Exhort, admonish, stir up...
III. GIVE GOD THE FIRST PORTION OF EVERY PAYCHECK.
A. As You have Prospered, 1 Cor. 16:2.
-Giving calls on us to develop and keep spiritual perspective on life and things, 1 Tim. 6:17: Given by God, uncertain, enjoy and share).
B. With Purpose of Heart, 2 Cor. 9:7; 1 Chron. 29:1, 3, 6, 9, 13-14.
-To the Lord (1), Willing, loyal heart (3, 6, 9), thankfulness (13-14).
C. With Joyful Thanksgiving, 1 Chron. 29:13-16.
-Giving is a moment of worship to be thankful to God for blessings.
IV. GIVE GOD THE FIRST CONSIDERATION IN EVERY DECISION.
A. We Make Decisions based on the Priority We Establish, Matt. 6:33-34; Lk. 14:25-33.
B. Seek Heavenly Things, Set Your Mind and Sustain your Life of Faith, Col. 3:1-4.
V. GIVE GOD THE FIRST PLACE IN YOUR HEART. Psa. 37:5-6
A. In Order to Form Your Faith (convictions, decisions, answers), 1 Pet. 3:15.
B. In Order to Always Act in Love, Matt. 22:37-39; 1 Jno. 4:7-8.
-Above all else, have "fervent love" for each other, 1 Pet. 4:8.
C. In Order to Live in Hope, Col. 1:22-23; 2 Thess. 2:16-17.
1. Divided heart hopes in temporary things, cf. 2 Cor. 4:16-18.
2. God gives us "living hope" - Without Him we have no hope, 1 Pet. 1:3.
1. Life has its hopes, happiness and enjoyment. It also has challenges, hardships, trials, hurt, disappointment and sorrow.
2. Life on earth is not designed for our ultimate satisfaction; only by fearing God and obeying Him will you truly succeed, Eccl. 12:13-14.
Adapted from article:
October, 2014 | knollwoodchurch.org
Knollwood Church of Christ
1031 Welford Dr. | Beavercreek, OH 45434
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 14, 2015