Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 17:1-5
"It is Finished"
1. Jesus came to earth to do the Father's will, Jno. 6:38.
2. The Father's will motivated Jesus to the end, Matt. 26:39, 42; Jno. 19:30.
3. He finished His work and by doing so, the Son glorified the Father, Jno. 17:4.
4. Like Jesus, we must "do the will of the Father", Matt. 7:21.
I. "I GLORIFIED YOU ON EARTH", Jno. 17:4.
A. Jesus Honored the Father on Earth by doing the Work the Father Gave Him to Do, Jno. 17:4; Lk. 2:49; Jno. 4:34.
1. We must honor the Father by doing our work:
a. Evangelists, pastors and teachers, Eph. 4:11-12.
b. Every member, Eph. 4:16.
c. Parents, Eph. 6:4.
d. On the job, cf. Col. 3:22-23; 4:1.
B. Ways the Son Glorified the Father, John 5:16-18; 19-30.
1. Magnified the mercy and love of the Father, 5:19-20 (8). By healing the lame He showed God's compassion for the weak.
2. Magnified the truth (word) of the Father, 5:14 (30); 7:16-18; 8:45-47. By speaking truth, Jesus spoke eternal life, Jno. 12:50.
3. Magnified the power of the Father (life), 5:21 (24-26); 11:25. God's power over life and death dramatically displayed.
4. Magnified the judgment of the Father, 5:22 (27-29); 7:21-24.
II. THE SON ACCOMPLISHED THE FATHER'S WORK, Jno. 17:4 (12:27-33).
A. The Work given Him by the Father, John 9:4. Jesus accomplished:
1. Proclamation of good news, Luke 4:18-21.
2. Fulfilled the Law and the Prophets, Matt. 5:17-18; Lk. 24:44-48; Rom. 10:4.
3. Lived without sin: Pure sacrifice for sin, Isa. 53:10; Heb. 10:5-7.
4. Redemptive work of Messiah completed, Heb. 9:23-28; 10:11-14.
III. THE SON IS GLORIFIED BY THE FATHER, Jno. 17:5.
A. In His Death, Jno. 12:27-36.
B. In His Resurrection, Rom. 1:4.
C. In His Exaltation, Phil. 2:9-11.
1. He has been given all authority, Matt. 28:18.
2. Above all rule, authority, power, dominion and rank, Eph. 1:20-21.
D. The Son Must be Honored Even as the Father, Jno. 5:23; 1 Jno. 2:23; 17:5.
1. Every doctrine that diminishes the Son of God is a sin against the Father, too!
a. Created being (Jehovah's Witnesses).
b. Was a time when Jesus was not God (Mormons).
c. A messenger of Allah (Messiah), not the Son of God (Islam).
d. A "good moral teacher" but not divine (agnostics).
e. Rejected as the Son of God (atheists).
2. Serve Jehovah by embracing the Son in faith (the truth about Him) and by obeying Him (submitting to His authoritative word), Psa. 2:10-12; Jno. 8:31-32.
1. While we have the light we must believe in the light and be sons of light, Jno. 12:36.
2. If you are not a Christian, you can know "the only true God" by knowing Jesus Christ whom He sent to this world, Jno. 17:3.
3. You "know Jesus" by obeying Him, 1 Jno. 2:3-5 (Lk. 6:46).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 30, 2014