Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Romans 6:16-23
Find a Righteous Person
1. Righteous (dikaios): “in a wide sense, upright, righteous, virtuous, keeping the commands of God” … innocent, faultless, guiltless… used of him whose way of thinking, feeling, and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God, and who therefore needs no rectification in the heart or life…approved of or acceptable of God” (Online Bible Greek Lexicon).
2. The Scriptures instruct us in righteousness, 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
3. It is our aim to be righteous (do what is righteous), Rev. 22:11.
I. IN THE SENSE OF SINLESS PERFECTION, NONE ARE RIGHTEOUS, Rom. 3:10.
A. None of Us Are Without Sin, Psa. 14:1-3; Rom. 3:23.
1. Bible tells of righteous people: Abel (Heb. 11:4); Noah, Daniel, Job (Ezek. 14:14); Joseph (Matt. 1:19); Zacharias and Elizabeth (Lk. 1:6, “walking in all the commandments”); Simeon (2:25); John (Mk. 6:20); Lot (2 Pet. 2:7).
2. We can hunger for righteousness, and be filled, Matt. 5:6 (6:33).
3. Faith is counted for righteousness, Rom. 4:3, 5-8 (God is the Justifier of those who have faith in Jesus, 3:26; Phil. 3:9).
B. Christians are Bondservants of Righteousness, Rom. 6:13, 18-22.
1. The righteous are scarcely saved (with difficulty, 1 Pet. 4:18).
2. Those who are born of God practice righteousness, 1 Jno. 2:29.
II. FIND A RIGHTEOUS PERSON, AND YOU FIND SOMEONE WHO IS SERVING OTHERS, Acts 6:3-6.
A. By Helping the Needy, Acts 6:2-3; 9:36.
B. By Teaching the Lost and Defending the Truth, Acts 6:8-10.
III. FIND A RIGHTEOUS PERSON, AND YOU FIND SOMEONE WHO COMFORTS, EXHORTS AND WORKS WELL WITH OTHER BRETHREN, Acts 11:19-26.
A. One Who Rejoices in the Salvation of Others, Acts 11:23.
B. One Who is Not Content with Past Accomplishments, Acts 11:23-24.
C. One Who Looks for Others to Help do the Work, Acts 11:25-26.
-Gets along with others; is not concerned about the credit, but that God’s work is done.
IV. FIND A RIGHTEOUS PERSON AND YOU FIND SOMEONE WHO STANDS FAST IN THE FAITH, 1 Cor. 16:13.
A. One Who Executes Justice and Seeks Truth, Jer. 5:1-2.
1. A peacemaker, Matt. 5:9; 1 Cor. 6:4-7.
2. One who helps solve problems among brethren, Phil. 4:2-3.
B. One Who Stands in the Gap against Sin and Error, Ezek. 22:30 (23-31).
1. Not a compromiser, Eph. 5:11; 2 Jno. 10-11.
2. Not a pretender, 1 Pet. 2:1.
3. A contender, Jude 3.
1. God “looks for” the righteous person, Acts 10:34-35.
2. Fear God and work righteousness (His will), and you will be among the righteous who are acceptable to Him, Matt. 25:46.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 10, 2017