Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 2:8-11
Faith and Finances
1. Money is a tool, nothing more. Our view of and use of money drives to the heart of our faith and character, and to our goals in this life and the next, 1 Tim. 6:6-11.
a. God defines contented godliness as a great acquisition (gain), 6:6.
b. Perspective of faith is key, 6:7-8.
c. Disposition of the heart the real issue, 6:9-10.
d. Deliberate effort to flee the devastating love of money, 6:11.
2. How to keep faith as the right perspective of our finances, Prov. 30:7-9.
I. REALIZE MONEY CAN’T MAKE YOU HAPPY, Matt. 19:16-22 (1 Pet. 3:10-12).
A. The World Views Happiness from a Material Basis, Lk. 12:15-19. (momentary)
B. Christians View Happiness from an Eternal Basis, Lk. 12:20-21; 1 Cor. 4:11-16.
II. LIVE FOR WHAT REALLY MATTERS, Matt. 6:32-34.
A. The World Places Finances Over Fairness and Faith.
1. Anxious for selfish and dishonest gain that harms the weak, Amos 8:4-6.
2. Ignoring God’s law for profit invites His judgment, Neh. 13:15-22.
B. Riches will not Save, So Use them Justly and Faithfully, Prov. 11:4 (10:2); Mk. 10:21-22.
III. KNOW THAT RICHES WILL PASS AWAY, Prov. 23:4-5.
A. Your Soul is Immortal; Your Money is Not, Matt. 16:26.
1. Safeguarding the soul is primary, Matt. 16:24.
2. Saving life through satiating self at the expense of the soul is futile, Matt. 16:25.
B. Warned Against the Foolishness of Hoarding, Eccl. 5:13-15.
IV. BE CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.
A. Contentment is the Opposite of Covetousness, Heb. 13:5.
1. Free from the love of money (greed).
2. Greed deprives the heart of contentment as it raises up and worships the false god of riches, Eccl. 5:10-11 (Matt. 6:24).
B. Be Honest with Money (yours and others’), Prov. 11:1.
V. PUT GOD AND PEOPLE ABOVE MONEY, 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
-Realize that money attracts a certain type of “friend”, Prov. 19:4, 6.
VI. INVEST IN THE RIGHT PLACES.
A. Use Your Money Morally, Lk. 16:11 (1-10).
B. Honorable Work Earns Money for Family and for Good Works, 1 Ths. 4:11-12; Eph. 4:28 (1 Cor. 16:2).
C. Give, and it will be Given to You, Lk. 6:38; cf. Mk. 12:41-44.
VII. KEEP CHARACTER ABOVE ACQUIRING, 1 Tim. 6:6, 10-11.
Money is a useful blessing when used properly, but a blight and a curse when
2. Faith must direct our view and our use of finances, Lk. 16:11.
Basic points are from: Blueprints for a Solid Marriage
Copyright © Dr. Steve Stevens, Published by Tyndale
Used in Growthtrac Marriage Minute - Sunday, January 20 2013
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 16, 2013