Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 46:1-7
The Fight is On!
1. Christians must fight the good fight of faith...lay hold of eternal life, 1 Tim. 6:12. Lay hold: "practically appropriating all the benefits, privileges and responsibilities involved in the possession of it" (Vine); 2 Tim. 4:7-8.
2. We are fighting a spiritual battle for our souls, our children's and grandchildren's souls...
3. We live "in the evil day" (times of evil, Eph. 6:13): We must stand in the power of the Lord, Eph. 6:10-13, 14-18; Phil. 1:27; Jude 3.
I. THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH: GIDEON AND THE MIDIANITES, Judges 7; Heb. 11:32-33.
-Illus. The Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC): Greek city-states led by King Leonidas of Sparta against the Persian Empire of Xerxes I. 300 Spartans (700 Thespians, 400 Thebans), a 3-day battle against upwards of 1 mil.
A. Faith is the Victory: God's 300, Jgs. 7:14-15.
1. Not by the strength of numbers, Jgs. 7:1-2. Started with 32,000 v. ~135,000 (Jgs. 8:10).
2. Not intermingled with the fearful and the distracted, Jgs. 7:3.
3. Only by those whom the Lord chose, Jgs. 7:4-7.
4. God's word was believed and obeyed in faith, Jgs. 7:14-15, 16-22.
II. WE FACE MIGHTY FOES THAT ARE ONLY DEFEATED BY FAITH, 2 Cor. 10:3-6.
A. We Fight Against:
1. The devil, 1 Pet. 5:8-9.
2. The servants of the devil, 2 Cor. 11:13-15.
3. The world and its sinful attractions, 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
4. Unbelieving friends and family, Matt. 10:37-38.
5. Society and its worldly wisdom (liberal mindset in education, gov't, the church), Col. 2:8.
6. False teachers and their false doctrines, 2 Pet. 2:1-3.
7. Compromising , complaining Christians, cf. Exo. 32:25-29 (Gal. 2:11-14).
B. God Commands Victories for His People, Psa. 44:4.
1. Our victories will not because of our own size, strength and stamina.
2. Trust in God: It is He who gives us victories, Psa. 44:3, 5-8.
3. Faith is the victory, 1 Jno. 5:4-5.
4. Who can be against us? Rom. 8:31-39.
a. God is our Savior, 8:32-33 (death of Jesus).
b. Christ is our Intercessor, 8:34 (raised and exalted).
c. God is our Defender, 8:37-39 (through His abiding love).
1. The fight is on; the battle is pitched.
2. The Lord overwhelms every enemy and stands victorious, Rev. 17:14.
3. Question: Will we stand and fight? Let others fight for us (as if that's possible)? Run and hide? Yield and surrender?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 13, 2016