Topical Sermon Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Luke 13:22-30
Are There Few Saved?
1. 11/90 Gallup Poll: 78% of Americans believe in heaven; Excellent / good chance of going there was also 78%. (60% believe in hell, only 4% think they will be going there.)
2. Nearly everyone who believes in heaven thinks he is going there. Will the majority be saved? What does the Bible say?
I. THE BIBLE SAYS THAT ONLY FEW WILL BE SAVED.
A. If Majority is Saved it Will Reverse the Constant, Consistent Spiritual Condition of Man on the Earth – Rom. 3:9-19, 23.
1. Righteous ones have always been a minority when compared to the whole of humanity – cf. Gen. 6:5-8; Deut. 7:6-7.
2. Righteous “remnant” of Israel (small part, trace – Isa. 10:21-22.
3. Remnant acc. to grace in Christ – Isa. 11:10-11, 16; Rom. 11:5.
B. Jesus Christ Taught that Few will be Saved.
1. Parable of the Sower – Mk. 4:14-20.
a. Heart of hearers of the word or God – Different soils.
b. 3 to 1 ratio of unproductive to productive soils (hearts)!
2. A direct answer from Jesus – Lk. 13:23-24.
a. Strive (endeavor with strenuous zeal).
b. Narrow gate – Confined, restricted access.
c. Many seek – Not able to enter.
d. Many are called, but few are chosen – Matt. 22:14.
3. The nature of discipleship – Lk. 14:25-35.
a. Exacting, comprehensive, sacrificial, compelling.
b. We must follow Jesus on His terms, not ours!
II. WHY ONLY FEW WILL BE SAVED.
A. It is not Because God Wants Most People to be Lost.
1. God desires all to be saved – 1 Tim. 2:3-4.
a. God’s love for the world sent Jesus – Jno. 3:16.
b. God’s love for the world sent Jesus to cross – Rom. 5:8.
2. God takes no pleasure in lost souls – 2 Pet. 3:9; Ezek. 18:32.
a. Calvinistic doctrine of unconditional election that has God unalterably choosing some for destruction in hell is false!)
b. Matt. 11:28 – All who will come to Jesus find rest.
3. So, why is it that only few will actually be saved?
B. The “Gates & Roads” Illustration – Matt. 7:13-14.
1. Hell’s Hwy: The wide gate & broad way – 7:13.
a. Wide & spacious: Unrestricted, undisciplined (no need for alertness & self-discipline).
b. Popular & pleasing, the “church of your choice” route.
c. It is destructive, thoughtless & shortsighted!
2. Heaven’s Hwy: Narrow gate & difficult way – 7:14; 1 Pet. 4:17-18. (cf. canyon walls)
a. Restricted by truth (truth is always more narrow than error, Eph. 4:4-6; Jno. 17:17).
b. Must be vigilant, seeking, disciplined, looking ahead.
C. We Must Seek for the Narrow Way – 7:14 (find it, Acts 17:27).
1. Some are not looking for it. Don’t care; in the darkness of sin.
2. Others are looking, but in the wrong places (Human wisdom, creeds, sciences, phil., psych., self, gov’t., family) - Everywhere but the Bible!
3. Some aren’t looking for it because they (incorrectly) believe they are already on it! (Wrong way on trip -- thought you were right!)
a. Sincere, feels good, diligent, “heaven just ahead” - Gal. 1:14; Acts 26:9.
b. Must constantly check God’s road map & our position – Matt. 7:24-25; 2 Cor. 13:5. When we are wrong we must change!
4. Some find the way, but it is too narrow for them – cf. Lk. 14:15-20, 26-27; 18:18-23; Acts 14:22. (exacting, limiting, confining, demanding) – Lost!
III. WHO ARE THE ONES WHO WILL BE SAVED?
A. If Based on Merit, Nobody Saved (Rom. 3:23; 2 Tim. 1:9; Eph. 2:8-9).
B. Who then can be Saved? (Matt. 19:25)
1. Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord - Acts 2:21 (Joel 2:32); Rom. 10:13.
a. Not: “Lord, Lord” (Matt. 7:21).
b. Not: “Sinner’s prayer” (cf. Saul of Tarsus, Acts 9:9, 11).
2. It is an appeal to God on His terms:
a. Acts 2:36-38 – Acknowledge Jesus as Lord, repent & bapt.
b. Acts 22:16 – Be baptized…wash away sins…calling on Lord.
c. Matt. 7:21 – Do the will of the Father.
3. Those who have a humble, obedient faith – Eph. 2:8-9 (Heb. 5:9); Lk. 17:10.
1. Acts 10:34-35 – Fears & obeys God – Acceptable to Him.
2. Will you be saved? Save yourself! Acts 2:40
(Source: Frank Himmel, GOT, 2/4/1993)