Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 33:13-22
The Fear of God
1. How deep and pronounced is your fear of God? Matt. 10:28
2. The moral corruption of the Gentiles was due to their chosen ignorance of God, Rom. 1:18-32 (19-20, 22-23, 25, 26).
3. Each person must give God His rightful place of homage in their heart and life, Eccl. 12:13; Acts 10:34-35.
4. What is the fear of the Lord? Do we have it?
a. Reverence/awe/respect for God: Causes one to shrink back from doing anything that would displease or dishonor God.
b. Dread of displeasing God -- Controlling motive of life, 2 Cor. 7:1.
c. Coupled with faith and love, it compels us to obey God.
I. THE FRUIT AND BENEFITS OF THE FEAR OF GOD.
A. It is the Chief Part of Knowledge and Wisdom, Prov. 1:7; 9:10.
1. Some believe they know more than God.
2. Refuse to have God in their knowledge, became vain and darkened in sin, Rom. 1:21, 28.
B. The Beginning of Wisdom, Prov. 9:10.
1. Honors God's wisdom, Rom. 1:22. Without fear of God . . . foolish.
2. Wisdom teaches the fear of God, Prov. 15:33.
C. It Leads People to Depart from Evil, Prov. 16:6; 8:13; 3:5-7.
1. Motivates a life away from sin rather than toward it -- Our response to God. (Humility of heart and life)
2. No fear of God leads to all manner of sin, Rom. 1:28.
D. It Leads Us to Pursue Righteousness:
1. Obedience, Deut. 10:12-13.
2. Worship and service, Deut. 6:13; Matt. 4:10.
3. Give glory to God, Rev. 14:7.
4. Given to lust without it, Rom. 1:24.
E. It Gives Protection and Strength, Prov. 14:26-27; Psa. 33:18-21.
1. Need not fear men or circumstances - God protects him.
2. Wrath upon those who do not fear of God, Rom. 1:18.
II. THOSE WHO FEAR GOD, Eccl. 8:12.
A. God's Goodness is Laid Up for them, Psa. 31:19; cf. Rom. 2:4.
B. They Shall not Want (lack), Psa. 34:9 (23:1); Phil. 4:19 (Matt. 6:33).
C. God's Mercy is upon Them, Psa. 103:11-13.
D. God takes Pleasure in Them, Psa. 147:10-11.
E. Are Happy People, Prov. 28:14.
III. WHEN PEOPLE DO NOT FEAR GOD, Eccl. 8:13.
A. Moral Restraint Disappears, Rom. 1:24, 26, 28.
1. Door is opened to all kinds of injustice and moral corruption.
2. Lusts . . . uncleanness . . . vile passions . . . reprobate minds . . .
3. Will sink deeper and deeper into sin.
B. They Live in Rebellion against God, Psa. 36:1 (Rom. 3:18).
1. Where is our fear of God? Mal. 1:6
a. Is it seen in the knowledge and wisdom we use in our lives?
b. Is it seen by turning from sin?
c. Is it seen by pursuing after righteousness (obey, worship)?
d. The fear of God must govern every relationship and every action.
2. When we fail to obey God and live a life that honors Him we are not living with the fear of God!
3. Perfect holiness in fear of God and fulfill our duty, 2 Cor. 7:1 (Eccl. 12:13).