Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 14:1-7
Times of Spiritual Famine
1. Have you ever been really, really thirsty?
2. Conversion brings “seasons of refreshing” from God, Acts 3:19.
3. Living water from the wells of salvation provide life and sustain us in Christ, Isa. 12:3; Jno. 4:10, 14.
I. WHY DID ISRAEL HAVE FAMINES?
A. Not because God was Unable to Bless Them, Deut. 11:13-15.
B. Because of their Idolatry and Sins, Deut. 11:16-17; 1 Kgs. 17:1; 18:18.
1. Punishment for unrepented sins, Lev. 26:18-20; Deut. 28:15, 23-24; Joel 1:15-20; Hos. 2:2-3.
2. Israel refused to repent in spite of famines, Amos 4:7-8.
C. After Punishment Came Healing and Restoration, Isa. 41:17-20.
II. WHEN AND WHY DO WE EXPERIENCE SPIRITUAL FAMINES?
A. When We Forget to be Thankful for Our Blessings, cf. Rev. 7:9-12.
1. Ingratitude leads to foolish pride & faithless lives, Rom. 1:21-23.
2. Count our blessings in order to thank God for them, Psa. 23.
B. When We Rebel Against God/Christ, Our Source of Spiritual Refreshment, Psa. 68:6.
1. Judah who did not regard God, Isa. 5:11-13.
2. False teachers, who rebel against the faith, Jude 12-13.
C. When We Allow the Devil to Discourage Us, 1 Pet. 5:7-9.
1. When our faith is under attack by spiritual enemies, and we begin to waver, cf. Mk. 9:24; Matt. 14:27-32.
2. When our hope is distracted by temporal allurements, and faith weakens, 2 Tim. 1:12; Heb. 12:1-2.
D. God Uses Times of Spiritual Famine as an Occasion to Discipline His Children, Heb. 12:3-11.
-We have to accept the discipline and refinement of our faith that is available through trials and tests of faith. Jas. 1:2-4
III. FINDING RELIEF WHEN WE EXPERIENCE SPIRITUAL FAMINE?
A. Be Thankful for Every Blessing, Isa. 12:3-4 (1); Phil. 4:6; Col. 2:6-7; 4:2. (“Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!”)
B. Hear and Obey the Word of God, Amos 8:11-12; Jas. 1:21-22.
1. Spend time with God’s word, 2 Tim. 2:15.
2. Be sensitive and responsive to God’s word, Jas. 1:22-25.
C. Pray Without Ceasing, 1 Thess. 5:17; Phil. 4:4-7.
-Spend time in prayer
D. Genuinely Worship God, Jno. 4:24.
-Not just about “being here,” it is about honoring God.
E. Practice Contentment While Serving Others, 1 Tim. 6:6-10, 17-19.
1. Divest ourselves of selfishness
2. Set our mind on things above, Col. 3:2-3.
1. There is spiritual famine wherever sin reigns, but Christ satisfies thirsty souls that comes to Him for salvation, Rev. 22:17.
2. Be revived by Christ and sustained through faithfully trusting and obeying the Lord.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 5, 2018