Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Peter 2:1-3
Beware of What is False
1. We are warned against religious pretenders (pseudo: false, spurious, impostor; “often of a deceptive resemblance,” Online Medical Dictionary), Matt. 7:15.
2. Impostors (seducers), deceiving & being deceived, 2 Tim. 3:13.
3. For everything that is true in religion, Satan manufactures a counterfeit, Jno. 8:44.
4. Religious deception can only be spotted & rejected by a diligent knowledge and use of the word of truth, 2 Tim. 2:14-18; 4:2-4.
I. WE ARE WARNED OF:
A. False Christs, Matt. 24:23-25.
1. Pretended Messiahs (Rev. Son Myung Moon, The Unification Church): “Reverend Moon declared that he and his wife are the Messiah and True Parents of all humanity.” (www.unification.org/rev_mrs_moon.html)
2. False concepts of Messiah, Matt. 24:23 (kingdom, return, visions…)
3. Must love truth & avoid deceptions, Matt. 24:24; 2 Ths. 2:8-12.
B. False Apostles, 2 Cor. 11:13-15.
1. Appear to be sent by Christ (fashion themselves):
a. Appearance of serving righteousness, 11:15.
b. Present themselves to others as such, 11:12.
2. Such men must be tested – they will be found false (pseudo):
a. Don’t qualify, Acts 1:21-25 (1 Cor. 15:8).
b. No legitimate evidence, 2 Cor. 12:11-12 (unrighteous deception, 2 Ths. 2:9-10).
c. There are no modern-day apostles.
C. False Prophets, Matt. 7:15; 1 Jno. 4:1 (many in the world).
1. False claims of inspiration, to be a spokesman for God (whether as a teller of the future or a teacher of doctrines).
2. Deception is a trademark.
3. Lying signs is their appeal, cf. Acts 8:9-11.
4. NT (apostles’ doctrine) is our defense against them.
D. False Teachers, 2 Pet. 2:1-3.
1. Nature of their teaching is false, distorted & destructive, cf. Acts 20:29-31.
2. Their error enters secretly, 2:1 (lit., “to bring in by the side of”); brought in alongside of truth.
a. Some brethren say one is only a false teacher if his motives are dishonest.
b. Some tell us one must be intentionally untrue in order to be deemed a “false teacher” (i.e., Cecil Hook, “False Teachers & False Teaching”, www.freedomsring.org/falsteach.html)
c. Note: It is the error they teach that is false.
d. We cannot determine motives unless they are expressed (heart, 1 Cor. 2:11).
e. But, teaching can be examined, tested (1 Jno. 4:6).
3. Hold fast to the word of Christ, 1 Tim. 6:3; 2 Tim. 2:15.
E. False Brethren, Gal. 2:4.
1. “Brother” refers to our relation in the family of God (Heb. 2:11).
2. Unfaithful Christians because of error they followed (Acts 15:5).
3. God’s family hears & obeys the word of God, Lk. 8:20-21.
4. False brethren present dangers (2 Cor. 11:26).
5. This is why issues of fellowship are vital, 2 Jno. 9-11.
II. JESUS CHRIST IS THE TRUTH, Jno. 14:6.
A. All who are of the Truth Hear His Voice, Jno. 18:37.
1. True Christ: Jesus (Jno. 20:30-31).
2. True Apostles: Sent by Jesus (Acts 1:8).
3. True Prophets: Holy Spirit inspired (2 Pet. 1:21).
4. True Teachers: Words of Jesus (1 Tim. 6:3).
5. True Brethren: Faithful in Christ (Col. 1:2).
B. Truth Contains nothing that is False, 1 Jno. 2:21-23.
1. Truth can be known, 2:21.
2. To deny Jesus is the Christ is to be a liar, 2:22.
3. Denial of the Son forfeits fellowship with the Father, 2:23.
4. What about you?
1. Are you “of the truth” in everything religiously?
2. Hear & hold fast the truth: Accept no substitutes; reject all counterfeits. Prov. 23:23