Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 2:16-19
1. We have heard a lot about “fake news” these days. (Counterfeit, phony, forged, bogus, false)
a. Truthfulness of news stories are under suspicion, in part, because fake stories are published as if they are true, and spread as real.
b. So, the credibility of all news sources suffers. Doubt replaces confidence in accurate news reporting.
2. Same can be said about the gospel. There are many fake gospels in the world, and these cast doubt upon the genuine article, cf. 1 Jno. 4:1 (6); 2 Tim. 2:16-19.
3. Paul warned of fake gospels, Gal. 1:6-10.
I. THE TRADITIONS OF MEN PRODUCE FAKE GOSPELS, Matt. 15:1-9.
A. Appear Righteous, but are of No Spiritual Value, Col. 2:20-23.
B. They Go Beyond the Written Word of God, 1 Cor. 4:6.
II. THE FAITH ONLY GOSPEL IS A FAKE GOSPEL.
A. Faith is Essential, Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 10:9-10.
-Faithless People are Commanded to Believe, Acts 16:30-31.
B. Faith Only (by itself) Does not Justify Sinners, James 2:14-26.
1. Work righteousness = Obey the word of God, Acts 10:34-35.
2. Plan of salvation is not faith only: Believe – Confess Faith – Repent of Sins – Be Baptized into Christ, Mk. 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; 8:36-38; 10:48.
III. THE SOCIAL GOSPEL IS A FAKE GOSPEL.
A. The Church should Minister to the “Whole” Person.
B. The Work of the Local Church is Specified in Scripture:
1. Preach the gospel to the lost, 1 Thess. 1:8.
2. Edify (spiritually build up) Christians, Acts 2:42; 1 Cor. 14:26.
3. Relieve needy saints, Acts 4:34-35.
C. The Work Mandate Given the Local Church is Spiritual, not Social, Medical, Political, etc., 1 Cor. 11:20-22, 33-34.
-Fellowship halls, family life centers, social groups, etc. – Additions to the word of God re. the work of the local church.
IV. UNIVERSAL SALVATION GOSPEL IS A FAKE GOSPEL.
A. Illustration: “The Shack” (10 million copies; Over 30 languages).
Jesus tells Mack: "Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims, Democrats, Republicans and many who don't vote or are not part of any Sunday morning or religious institutions." Jesus adds, "I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my Papa, into my brothers and sisters, my Beloved."
Mack then asks the obvious question -- do all roads lead to Christ? Jesus responds, "Most roads don’t lead anywhere. What it does mean is that I will travel any road to find you."
Given the context, it is impossible not to draw essentially universalistic or inclusivistic conclusions about Young's meaning. "Papa" chides Mack that he is now reconciled to the whole world. Mack retorts, "The whole world? You mean those who believe in you, right?" "Papa" responds, "The whole world, Mack." (“FIRST-PERSON: ‘The Shack’ & the missing art of evangelical discernment,” R. Albert Mohler, Jr.)
B. Jesus Said Few Will be Saved, Matt. 7:13-14; 1 Pet. 4:18-19.
V. A SINLESS GOSPEL IS A FAKE GOSPEL.
A. Sin has been Redefined as Illness or as Personal Identity.
-Illus. LGBT Bible app to be published June 2017: “Devotionals and the Bible for the Outsiders.” ”Creating devotionals for progressive Christians we uplift believers of ALL stripes.” (ourbibleapp.com)
1. Transgression against God’s law, 1 Jno. 3:4.
2. Omission of God’s will, Jas. 4:17.
B. Sin is Real for All of Us, Rom. 3:23; 6:23.
VI. A HELL-LESS GOSPEL IS A FAKE GOSPEL.
A. Annihilation of the Wicked is a False Gospel, Mk. 9:43-44; Matt. 25:30; Rev. 20:10, 15.
B. Decision is Ours, Rom. 2:5-11.
1. Buy the truth and do not sell it, Prov. 23:23.
2. Beware of fake gospels! Jude 3
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: March 18, 2017