Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 10:39-11:2
Faith that Pleases God
1. Faith is much discussed yet often misunderstood. Saving faith is not:
1) Blind leap (impulsive), 2) Uneducated (ignorant), 3) Nominal (claimed while defying truth), 4) Hypocritical (insincere), 5) Based on experiences and emotions, etc.
2. Hebrews 11 defines and illustrates faith that pleases God, Heb. 11:6.
3. Faith (established by evidences) is the assurance of unseen things that gives substance (confidence) to our hope, 11:1.
4. Our faith must please God. If your faith does these things, then it pleases God. Faith that pleases God…
I. …IDENTIFIES GOD AS THE DESIGNER AND CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, Heb. 11:3.
A. Faith Understands (it perceives with the mind).
1. Faith is neither blind nor uneducated (cf. Psa. 25:1-2, 4-5).
2. Good heart considers evidence and comes to an understanding:
a. Design shows a Designer; First Cause, Heb. 3:4.
b. By considering the evidence of creation, faith is produced that clearly understands (noieō) God to be the Creator, Rom. 1:20.
B. Faith Understands the World was Framed by the Word of God, 11:3; cf. Rom. 1:20.
1. World was brought into existence by (from, out of) unseen things:
a. God and His Word, Psa. 33:6-9. (Jno. 1:3; Col. 1:16)
b. Eternal power (exercised by His word), Gen. 1:3, 6, 9, et al.
c. Deity (Godhead) – Divine nature – God.
2. Cannot reject divine creation of world and have a faith that pleases God. (Futility of theistic evolution; atheism)
II. … ACTS ON GOD’S PROMISES, Heb. 11:8-22.
A. Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, and Jacob Trusted God’s Promises.
1. Gen. 12:1-3 (Isaac, 26:4; Jacob, 28:14).
2. Summarize their actions (11:8-22).
B. A Pleasing Faith:
1. Obeys God, 11:8-9, 17. (“Faith that saves is faith that obeys.”)
2. Trusts the faithfulness of God, 11:11.
3. Sustained by hope, 11:10, 13-16.
-Heb. 6:13-19 (God’s faithfulness is our hope)
III. …ESTEEMS CHRIST ABOVE ALL, Heb. 11:23-26.
-Esteem: “To lead before the mind, to suppose, consider,” 11:26.
A. Faith is not Afraid of Men, 11:23; He. 13:6; cf. Jno. 12:42-43; Acts 5:29
B. Faith is not Controlled by Earthly Advantages, Heb. 11:24-26.
1. Wisdom and power, Acts 7:22.
2. Position and wealth, Heb. 11:24 (Matt. 16:26).
C. Faith is Deliberate, 11:24-26.
1. Faith makes choices after counting the cost, 11:24-25 (Lk. 14:27-33).
2. Faith considers Christ most important! 11:27; cf. Matt. 10:28, 39.
IV. …OVERCOMES TREMENDOUS ODDS, Heb. 11:29-38.
A. The Victory of Faith, 11:29-34.
1. God’s victory (Grace) cf. Red Sea, Jericho, 11:33-34.
2. Our victory: Personal faith obeys God and overcomes the world, 1 Jno. 5:3-4 (Rev. 2:7).
B. The Victory of Faith comes by Enduring the Trials of Faith, 11:35-38; cf. 1 Pet. 1:3-9.
C. Their Faith Calls Us to Greater Faith, 12:1-2 (“good testimony,” 11:2).
1. Christ binds together the faithful of all ages, 11:40.
2. Patient endurance obtains the reward of faith.
1. These OT people of faith sought after God and found Him, 11:6.
2. Their faith pleased God and they became heirs of the righteousness which is according to faith (Heb. 11:7).
3. Our faith must please God. If your faith does these things, then it pleases God.
4. “When the Son of man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” Lk. 18:8
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 3, 2018