Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: James 5:7-12
Faith at Work (5)
1. James 4 establishes the priority of faith to overcome the world, to prevent evil speaking against others and to insure dependency upon God regardless of what happens in life.
2. James 5 sums up a working faith by contrasting the futility of material goods while exhorting us to patiently rely on God.
I. FAITH AT WORK WILL NOT RELY ON RICHES TO SECURE THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE, Jas 5:1-6. (Jas 4:13-17)
A. The Futility of Riches to Secure and to Save, 5:1.
1. The desire to be rich destroys, 1 Tim 6:9-10; cf. Prov 30:7-9.
2. The nature of riches: corruptible and corrupting, Jas 5:2-3.
a. Riches don’t last; hoarded wealth testifies against the miser in the judgment, 5:5; Eccl 5:13-15.
b. Hoarding is the fruit of covetousness, Lk 12:15, 17-19.
3. Woe pronounced on those who make riches their god, Lk 6:24-25; 18:24-30.
4. The rich warned against oppressing the poor, 5:4; Lev 19:13; Deut 24:14-15; Jer 22:13.
a. By withholding wages / not paying wages in a timely fashion.
b. Lord of Sabaoth (hosts) hears the cries of the oppressed, Jas 5:4.
B. The Christian and Material Goods.
1. Cannot serve two masters, Matt 6:24.
2. Lay up treasures in heaven, not on earth, Matt 6:19-21; Jas 5:2-3.
-How? By not trusting in wealth (it is uncertain and does not endure), Jas 5:3; 1 Tim 6:17.
3. Do not be haughty and oppressive, Jas 5:4, 6; 1 Tim 6:17.
4. Do not live in self-indulgent luxury and neglect doing good, Jas 5:5; Lk 16:19-21 (14-15); 1 Tim 6:18.
5. Illus. “Cash is King” vs. “Christ is King” (1 Tim 6:15)
II. FAITH AT WORK PATIENTLY WAITS ON THE LORD TO JUDGE AND TO BLESS, Jas 5:7-18.
A. Faith has Patience to Wait on the Lord to Judge, Jas 5:7-12.
1. Coming of the Lord: Expression of His presence in judgment.
a. The presence of the Lord will right every wrong the righteous endure at the hands of the wicked, cf. 2 Ths 1:3-8.
b. His coming (in judgment) is at hand, Jas 5:8-9, 11; 1 Pet 4:5. (His righteous judgment is certain, swift and sure.)
3. You have need of patience (Heb 10:36; Lk 21:19), Jas 5:8.
a. Like the farmer, 5:7.
b. Like the prophets, 5:10.
c. Like Job, 5:11.
4. Patience prevents:
a. Grumbling that causes condemnation, 5:9 (4:11).
b. Rash threats of condemnation, 5:12. (Tongue control)
5. Patience enables:
a. Establishing our hearts, 5:8.
b. The Lord’s outcome: Compassion and mercy, 5:11; 1:2-4.
B. Faith has Patience to Wait on the Lord to Bless, Jas 5:13-18.
1. The Lord’s blessings in times of:
a. Suffering, Jas 5:13 – Pray. (Acts 16:25)
b. Sickness, Jas 5:14.
c. Sin, Jas 5:15 – Forgiveness through “prayer of faith”.
2. The power of prayer, Jas 5:16-18.
a. Power in fervent prayer due to faith, Lk 18:1, 8.
b. Elijah’s prayers – Our prayers.
III. FAITH WORKS TO TURN BRETHREN FROM ERROR, Jas 5:19-20.
A. The Sin of Wandering from the Truth, Jas 5:19; cf. 1 Tim 4:1.
B. Spiritual Condition of the Christian who Strays from the Truth, Jas 5:20.
1. Sinner: 1 Jno 3:4.
2. Error of his way: cf. Matt 7:13-14; Jno 14:6. Way of truth, Psa 119:30
3. Death: Separated from God, Gal 1:8-9.
4. Multitude of sins: Christian can fall away and be lost in sin!
C. Sin Covered (Forgiven) and Soul Restored to Life, Jas 5:20; Gal 6:1 (Lk 15:24). He who wins souls is wise (Prov 11:30).
1. Faith at work: The grand design of our life in Christ, Jas 2:17; Eph 2:10.
2. In Christ, faith working through love is powerful to save! Gal 5:6