Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 6:41-51
Faith Toward God
1. Scripture mandates we “go on to perfection” instead of only laying a foundation of first principles, Heb. 6:1-3 (5:12-14).
2. “Faith toward God” is fundamental to redemption in Christ and mature discipleship, Heb. 6:1.
3. The Holy Spirit explained and illustrated faith (Hebrews 11).
I. DEFINING FAITH, Heb. 11:1.
A. Two Parts of Faith.
1. Substance (assurance, ASV) of hope. Faith and hope are inseparable, 1 Pet. 1:21.
2. Evidence (conviction, NASB) of unseen things. The presence of faith implies reasons to support it, 1 Pet. 3:15. (not blind)
B. Faith Toward God, Heb. 11:6.
1. Believes God exists.
-Belief in God supported by phys. evidence, 11:3; Ps. 19:1-4.
2. Believes God rewards diligent seekers of Him.
-God-seekers know and honor Him in truth, Rom. 1:20-25.
II. WHAT WE MUST DO TO HAVE FAITH TOWARD GOD.
A. Hear What God Says, 1 Sam. 3:10.
1. We must give an audience to Christ’s words, Heb. 1:1-2.
2. Requires a ready heart, Matt. 13:3-9, 10-17 (34-35, 43).
3. God uses His word to call us to His Son and eternal life, John 6:44-45.
4. Hearing God’s word leads us to understanding, John 8:43.
-Listen with a will to do God’s will, John 7:16-17.
B. Trust What God Says, 1 Thess. 2:13 (welcome it).
1. Lack of trust (no faith) v. trust (faith), John 6:60-68.
2. Faith replaces fear and doubt when we trust the truth (Peter, Matt. 14:27-33); John 18:37.
a. Centurion, Luke 7:1-10 (great faith).
b. Jairus, Luke 8:40-42, 49-50 (Do not be afraid, only believe).
c. Ethiopian, Acts 8:30-38. Hearing Scripture and understanding them led him to trust Jesus for salvation.
C. Do What God Says, Matt. 4:4.
1. Faith is active, hearing God, trusting God, and obeying God, James 2:14-26. (Faith saves when faith obeys.)
2. Hebrews 11: Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, etc. They were rewarded because they heard, trusted, and obeyed God. Contrast Israel in wilderness, Heb. 3:17-4:2.
3. Faith without loving obedience is like car without fuel: It goes nowhere, Gal. 5:6-7.
1. Are you walking by faith or sight? 2 Cor. 5:7 (9)
2. If by faith, then you are hearing, trusting, and obeying God’s word in everything, Col. 3:17 (Luke 6:46).
3. God will not forget our faith (“your work and labor of love”). When we patiently endure we will inherit the promises, Heb. 6:10-12. This is “faith toward God” (6:1; 11:6).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted September 8, 2021