Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 10:35-39
Does Your Faith Please God?
1. Faith is much discussed and easily (often) misunderstood. Faith is not: Blind leap; Uneducated/ignorant; Nominal faith (it is often claimed while living contrary to truth).
2. Heb.11: Defines and explains faith that saves souls (Heb. 10:39).
3. Faith is the assurance of our hope and the evidence of things unseen (11:1).
4. Does your faith please God? (Heb. 11:6)
I. DOES YOUR FAITH PERCEIVE THE DIVINE DESIGN? Heb. 11:3
A. Faith Understands (it is perceptive).
1. Understand (noieo): “exercise the mind…comprehend” (G3539).
2. Faith is neither blind nor uneducated; intellect involved.
3. Consider evidence and draw conclusion to come to faith (faith understands):
a. Design – Designer; First Cause, Heb. 3:4.
b. By considering the evidence of creation faith sees the presence and power of Deity (Creator), Rom. 1:20.
B. Faith Perceives the World Was Framed by the Word of God, 11:3.
1. World exists from unseen things of God:
a. Word of God, Psalm 33:6, 9.
b. Eternal power (exercised by His word), Gen. 1:3, 6, 9, et al.
c. Wisdom of God, Prov. 8:22-31.
d. Deity (Godhead) – Divine nature of God.
2. Cannot reject divine creation as the origin of the world and have a faith that pleases God, 11:6.
II. DOES YOUR FAITH ACT ON GOD’S PROMISES? Heb. 11:7-22
A. Noah Prepared Ark Because of God’s Word, 11:7.
B. Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, and Jacob Trusted God’s Promises.
1. Gen. 12:1-3 (Isaac, 26:4; Jacob, 28:14). (Nation, land, Seed)
2. Summary of their faith that acted (11:8-22).
C. Faith that Pleases God:
1. Obeys God, 11:7, 8-9, 17. (“Faith that saves is faith that obeys.”)
2. Trusts God’s faithfulness, 11:11.
3. Sustained by hope, 11:10, 13-16.
-Heb. 6:13-19 (God’s faithfulness and our hope).
III. DOES YOUR FAITH RESPECT CHRIST ABOVE ALL? Heb. 11:23-26
A. Faith is not Deterred by Men, 11:23; cf. John 12:42-43; Acts 5:29; Heb. 13:6.
B. Faith is not Directed by Earthly Advantages, 11:24-26.
1. Wisdom and power, Acts 7:22.
2. Position and wealth, 11:24 (Matt. 16:26).
C. Faith is Deliberate, 11:24-26.
1. Faith makes choices after counting cost, 11:24-25; Luke 14:27-33.
2. Esteem: “To lead before the mind, to suppose, consider,” 11:26.
3. Faith considering Christ most important, Matt. 10:39.
IV. FAITH OVERCOMES TREMENDOUS ODDS, Heb. 11:29-38.
A. The Victory of Faith, 11:29-34.
1. God’s victories: Red Sea, Jericho, 11:33-34.
2. Our faith in God, 1 John 5:4.
B. The Victory of Faith Comes with Trials of Faith, 11:35-38; 1 Pet. 1:3-9 (6-7).
C. Their Faith Calls Us to Greater Faith, Heb. 12:1-2.
1. Christ binds together the faithful of all ages, Heb. 11:40.
2. Patient endurance brings the reward of faith.
1. These people of faith sought after God and found Him (were found by God). Their faith pleased God, Heb. 11:6.
2. Our faith must also please God. If your faith follows their examples it pleases Him.
3. “When the Son of man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” Luke 18:8
By: Joe R. Price
Posted August 9, 2022