WHEN EVIL STRIKES
1. The horrible, murderous attacks on this nation & its innocent civilians are a clear & sobering reminder of the presence & power of evil, of the fragile nature of life & of the importance of always being right with God.
2. What does God's word say about evil? What has God put into our hands to protect the innocent & punish the guilty? What should all people do in the face of calamity? What can Christians do in the face of evil?
I. EVIL EXISTS IN THIS WORLD.
A. Evil Is Given Fertile Soil Whenever People Ignore, Forget & Reject God - Rom. 1:20-32.
B. The Same Evil Which Is Behind Terrorism Is Also Behind Every Other Sin: Satan! - 1 Pet. 5:8; Eph. 6:10-13.
1. Satan & sin can be resisted in faith w/ the armor of God - 1 Pet. 5:9.
2. We must be combatants in this war - Victory belongs to Christ! - Rev. 17:14
C. All Sin & Wickedness Comes Under The Wrath Of God - Rom. 1:18- 19.
1. Be assured: God will bring all evil to justice - Rom. 12:17-21.
a. Not by personal vengeance - 12:17-18, 20-21.
b. But by His means of justice, executed via civil gov't - Rom. 13:1ff.
2. Final & ultimate vengeance - 2 Ths. 1:8-9; Rev. 21:8.
II. WHEN CALAMITY STRIKES - Amos 4:12.
A. Those In Sin Must Repent & Return To God - Amos 4:6-12.
1. Isa. 45:5-7; 47:11 - God uses calamity / tragedy to punish &/or turn people back to Him. A wake up call from the Almighty!
B. Righteousness Exalts A Nation, Sin Is A Reproach - Prov. 14:34; Psa. 33:12.
1. No nation which harbors & fosters sin will stand - not even America.
2. As a nation we must turn back to God! ("In God we trust")
III. WHAT ARE THE RIGHTEOUS TO DO? - Psa. 94:12-17
A. Resist Evil & Do Good - cf. Amos 5:14-15; Rom. 12:9.
B. Pray For Leaders That Peace & Justice May Prevail - 1 Tim. 2:1-2.
C. Wait On The Lord - Psa. 37:9; Rom. 12:19-21; Isa. 40:27-31.
D. Support Government's Efforts To Execute Justice - Rom. 13:1-5.
E. Don't Fear Man, Fear God - Matt. 10:26-28 (Psa. 55:22; 56:11).
1. Get right with God - 2 Cor. 6:2.
2. Live for God - Matt. 16:26.
3. Psa. 23:4 - Even in the face of death, those who trust in the Lord do not fear death because the Lord is with them.
1. Now is the time to get right with God & live for Him! - 2 Cor. 5:9-11
b. Support gov't actions which are intended to protect the innocent & punish the guilty.
c. Remain faithful to the Lord - He continues to rule over all the earth.
d. Live holy lives, prepared for death.
2. Obey the Lord now!