COMPILING, ASSESSING & USING THE EVIDENCE
1. Objective in series has been to demonstrate why we believe Bible is a "special, divine revelation to man." And, thereby to "give answer" (defense) for our hope - l Pet. 3:15.
2. In this lesson, we will summarize that evidence, and then assess how we can be using it in our lives.
I. SUMMARIZING THE EVIDENCE.
A. Unity Of Bible - Deut. 6:4.
1. 66 books, 40 men, 1500 yr., different backgrounds, places, languages.
2. Harmony in structure, theme & doctrine.
B. Unusual Style - Isa. 55:8-11.
1. Brevity, Omissions, Impartiality & Calmness (simplicity).
2. Men dont write the way the Bible is written!
C. Fulfilled Prophecy - Isa. 41:21-24.
1. Nations - Jer. 18:7-10 (Israel, etc.)
2. Messiah - Jno. 5:39 (time, birth, character, sufferings; Over 300 - Probability is astronomical). Lk. 18:31-33
D. Bible & Science - Psa. 19:1-4, 7-9.
1. Harmony of Bible facts & science facts.
2. Reveals knowledge superior to the day (suspended earth, round earth, sea lanes, water cycle, number of stars).
E. Purity of Bible Ethics.
1. Standards far surpass those of the day.
a. Rom. 1:20-25 - Religiously (Exo. 20:4-5).
b. Rom. 1:24-27 - Morally (Matt. 5-7).
2. Such a system not from falsehood, deception & fraud over period of 1500 yr.
F. Historical Reliability.
1. A book can be historically accurate & not be inspired, but no book can be accepted as inspired & be historically inaccurate.
2. Bible claims to be a historical book, & its history has continually been upheld by archeology.
II. THE PROPOSITION UPHELD: THE BIBLE IS A SPECIAL, DIVINE REVELATION TO MAN.
A. The Combined Weight Of Evidence Is Conclusive, Not Circular - 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
1. Sustained upon basis of evidence - Not tradition, hearsay, social norms, ignorance or assumption.
2. Its claims are sustained by evidence!
B. Faith That The Bible Is Gods Verbally Inspired Word Is Secure - Eph. 3:3-5.
1. Can believe & obey it with complete confidence - Rom. 10:17; Matt. 7:21; Jas. 1:25.
2. To do otherwise is to forfeit salvation (Matt. 7: 24-27).
III. USING THE EVIDENCE.
A. To Meet Our Need To Know God & To Obey His Will - Jer. 10:23 (Prov. 14:12).
1. Bible accomplishes this task - cf. Jno. 6:44-45; 14:6; 20:30-31.
2. Rejecting Bible is to reject all hope - Jno. 12:44-48.
B. To Be Prepared Servants Of Christ - 1 Pet. 3:15.
1. If you dont know why you believe what you believe, you can never expect to convince anyone else! (And, you may yourself be deceived!)
2. 2 Tim. 2:15 - Approved workmen (Phil. 1:16).
C. To Be Saved Eternally - Acts 20:32.
1. 1 Ths. 2:13 - Must be convinced of what the Bible is in order to insure that we use it to get to heaven! Jno. 17:17; 8:51
2. The truth of God works in believers! You can believe it!
1. Do you believe the Bible? Then, commit yourself to obeying it completely - l Pet. 1:22-25.
2. Bible is Gods revelation to man.