1. May 2000 - Big Game Lottery odds ($363M jackpot): 1 in 76,000,000 (76x106).
2. Odds of 332 OT prophecies fulfilled in Jesus: 1 in 84 x 10123!!
3. Prophecy is beyond the power of man to foresee: It is "forth-telling" as well as "foretelling" - Isa. 42:8-9.
4. To refuse the Bible as the word of God is to also refuse Jesus as the Christ, the Son of God & Savior of the world!
5. Lk. 24:25-27 - Do not be slow of heart to believe the prophets!
a. Lk. 24:44-45 - Open your eyes (heart) to understand the fulfillment of Messianic prophecy in Jesus of Nazareth! Or .,
b. Shall we refuse Jesus as fulfillment of their prophetic proclamations?
I. JESUS & THE APOSTLES CLAIMED THAT HE IS THE FULFILLMENT OF OT MESSIANIC PROPHECY.
A. Jesus: OT Scriptures Testify Of Him - Jno. 5:39; Lk. 4:16-21.
-To deny fulfillment of Messianic prophecy in Jesus is to conclude that Jesus is a liar & a fraud! (Do you accept that conclusion?)
B. Apostles: Jesus Is The Promised Messiah.
1. Acts 3:18-24 - Prophetic fulfillment places responsibility upon sinners to repent & be converted God!
2. Acts 10:43 - OT prophets said that through the name of Jesus believers would be saved from their sins.
3. Acts 13:27 - OT prophets told of the Messiah's rejection.
4. Acts 26:22-27 - Fulfilled prophecy used to persuade men - Words of "truth & reason."
5. Rom. 1:1-3 - God, by OT prophets, promised gospel of His Son.
6. To deny Messianic fulfillment in Jesus is to charge His apostles as liars & frauds (false witnesses of God, 1 Cor. 15:15).
II. THE MESSIAH OF OT PROPHECY -- FULFILLED IN JESUS.
-Five essential elements in the OT concept of Messiah (Edward J. Young, Old Testament Prophecy, 17-18; cited by Jenkins in Introduction To Christian Evidences, 106): Supernatural, Eschatological, Authoritative, Soteriological, Deity.
A. Supernatural: Coming Of Messiah Signifies The Coming Of God.
1. The Messiah's work is the work of God Himself - cf. Isa. 42:1-6; 61:1-2 (Lk. 4:21).
a. Jesus claimed to work in complete unity with the Father (just as the prophets had said Messiah would do - Jno. 5:17-18; 10:37-38.
b. Matt. 11:3-6 - His works confirm Him as God's Anointed!
2. Jesus fulfills the supernatural aspect of Messianic prophecy!
B. Eschatological: The Messiah Would Usher In The "Last Days" - Isa. 2:2-4; Hosea 3:5; Joel 2:28-32.
1. The Last Days Is Identified As The NT Age - Gal. 4:4; 1 Pet. 1:20; Heb. 1:1-2.
-Acts 2:16ff - "This is that" spoken by Joel .That's that!!
2. Jesus & His gospel fulfills the "last days" context of Messianic prophecy!
C. Authoritative (Regal): Messiah Is Conqueror And King - Psa. 2:6-7; 110:1-2; Jer. 23:5-6.
1. Messiah is presented as a mighty warrior who vanquishes the enemies of God & His people & rules in righteousness.
2. Jesus is this Conqueror & King! - cf. Acts 2:32-37 (Heb. 1:8).
D. Savior: The Messiah Is To Be A Savior & Salvation His Work.
1. Matt. 1:21 - Salvation from sin His primary work.
2. Gen. 3:15 - Bruise the head (power) of Satan (overcome sin & death).
3. Isa. 59:20; 61:1-2 - Redeemer who heals those broken by sin (Matt. 11:28-30).
4. Isa. 53 - Sacrifices Himself for our sins (1 Pet. 2:24).
5. Jesus is the Savior offered to the world by God through His prophets!
E. Deity: The Messiah Is, Himself, God. cf. Jno. 1:49
1. Isa. 7:14 - Virgin birth -- Immanuel (God with us) - Matt. 1:23.
2. Isa. 9:6-7 - Mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince of peace.
3. He forgave sins, healed the sick, raised the dead, controlled nature, etc. - He is God! - cf. Mk. 2:9-12 (Matt. 16:13-16)
4. Jesus Is God (deity)! - Jno. 20:28
1. Only a divine mind could have conceived such a character as Messiah, & recorded hundreds of prophecies about Him through the centuries; And only a divine person could have fulfilled the predictions.
2. When we consider Messianic prophecy & its fulfillment in Jesus we can only conclude two things:
a. The Bible is a special Divine revelation.
b. Like Andrew: "We have found the Messiah!" (Jno. 1:41)