Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 6:48-58
The Christian's Eternal Life
1. Jesus came to give life to sinners, Jno. 1:4; 4:13-14; 10:10; 14:6; 17:1-4.
2. Jesus promised us eternal life, 1 Jno. 2:24-25.
3. Eternal life... 1 Jno. 5:11-13:
a. Is God's gift, 5:11.
b. Is in His Son, 5:11.
c. You do not have life unless you have the Son, 5:12.
d. Believers know they have eternal life and are encouraged to continue in faith, 5:13.
4. When do we have eternal life: Now, only in the future, or both? Can eternal life be lost? Can it be recovered? How is it secure?
I. ETERNAL LIFE IS A PRESENT REALITY OF THE CHRISTIAN, 1 Jno. 5:11-13.
A. Possessing Eternal Life is Equated with Abiding in Christ, Jno. 6:53-58.
1. In this sense, the Christian has eternal life as a real possession, but one which has not yet been fully realized in the presence of God.
2. We should not shy away from affirming that God has given us eternal life, Jno.6:47.
B. The Life We have in the Son is Conditional, 1 Jno. 5:12.
-Conditions in order to be given eternal life:
a. Believe and obey the Son, Jno. 3:36.
b. Hear and believe, Jno. 5:24.
c. Hear and follow Jesus, Jno. 10:27-28.
d. Feed upon Christ (eat the bread of life: "Eat his flesh" and "drink His blood"), Jno. 6:48-51, 54-57, 63, 68.
e. Sacrificial service to Christ, Jno. 12:25-26.
II. ETERNAL LIFE IS ALSO THE CHRISTIANíS HOPE, Titus 1:2; 3:7.
A. We have not Yet Entered the Immortal Realm, 1 Cor. 15:54 (19); 2 Cor. 5:1-5.
1. Then we will live forever in the presence of God, 1 Pet. 1:3-5, 9.
2. In this sense, eternal life is our hope of the future, 2 Cor. 4:17-18.
B. The Fullness of God's Promise: Immortally Arrayed, Col. 3:4.
1. Now in this time...and in the age to come..., Mk. 10:29-30.
2. Go into eternal life, Matt. 25:46.
3. Seek for glory, honor and incorruption -- eternal life, Rom. 2:7, 10.
4. Result of serving God is eternal life (God's gift), Rom. 6:22-23.
5. Sow to the Spirit and reap eternal life, Gal. 6:8.
6. Lay hold on eternal life, 1 Tim. 6:12, 19.
III. ETERNAL LIFE CAN BE FORFEITED BY RETURNING TO SIN, Heb. 6:4-6.
A. We Must...
1. Guard ourselves, Jude 1:20-21. The possibility exists of not continuing in the love of God.
2. Hear and follow the voice of Jesus, Jno. 10:27-29. If we stop doing so we have no assurance of eternal life.
3. Sow to the Spirit, Gal. 6:7-9. Follow the Spirit of God (5:22-23).
4. Be steadfast to the end, Heb. 3:12-15. If we turn to unbelief we fall away from the living God, and Christ is no longer living in us. Then, we do not have "life" because we are not "in the Son".
5. Do not change God's word to fit ourselves, Rev. 22:19.
1. This is eternal life: To know God and Jesus Christ, Jno. 17:2-3.
2. Know God by having faith to obey Jesus, 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
3. Do you have eternal life as a present spiritual blessing and as your expectation of the future?
a. If not, become a Christian and have life in the Son.
b. If you do, but you have fallen from Him and His life, return to Him and He will renew your life in the Son.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 4, 2015