Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 John 5:9-13
Eternal Life: Now and in the Future
1. Jesus came to give life to sinners, Jno. 1:4; 4:13-14; 10:10; 14:6.
2. Eternal life, 1 Jno. 5:11-13:
a. Is God’s gift, 5:11.
b. Is in His Son, 5:11.
c. You do not have life unless you have the Son, 5:12.
d. Believers know we have eternal life and are encouraged to continue in faith, 5:13.
3. When do we have eternal life: Now, only in the future, or both? Can eternal life be lost? Can it be recovered? How is eternal life made secure?
I. ETERNAL LIFE IS A PRESENT REALITY FOR THE CHRISTIAN.
A. Christians Have Been Given Eternal Life in the Son, 1 Jno. 5:11-13.
1. Gift of eternal life is free and in (by and through) Christ.
2. We do not shy away from affirming God has given us eternal life.
3. Christians have eternal life as a real possession, but one that has not yet been fully realized in heaven (the eternal kingdom).
B. Receiving and Possessing Eternal Life in the Son is Conditional, 1 Jno. 5:12 (“have” the Son).
1. Condition for life: Partake of Christ…abide in Christ, Jno. 6:53-58.
a. Abide in Christ if/when His word abides in us, Jno. 6:63; 1 Jno. 2:24-26. (God has made the promise, and gives it to those who abide in the Son and the Father (2:24).
b. Must walk in truth to have the Son, 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
c. Therefore, if His word is not abiding in us (obedience from heart), then we do not have eternal life.
2. More conditional statements:
a. Must hear and believe word of Christ, Jno. 5:24; 6:47.
b. Disobedient shall not see life, Jno. 3:36 (apeitheo, “disobedient,” Rom. 2:8).
c. Hear and follow Jesus, Jno. 10:27-30.
II. ETERNAL LIFE IS THE CHRISTIAN’S HOPE, Tit. 3:7; 1 Pet. 1:3-5, 8-9.
A. God Promised Eternal Life, Tit. 1:2; 1 Jno. 2:25.
-We must sow to the Spirit to reap the harvest of everlasting (perpetual) life, Gal. 6:7-8.
B. Christians Will Experience the Fullness of Eternal Life in the Age to Come, Mk. 10:29-30 (Lk. 18:28-30).
C. Eternal Life Will be Fully Realized After Judgment Day, Matt. 25:46. (fully experienced, fully accomplished)
1. At this time we seek for eternal life, Rom. 2:6-7, 10.
2. The end (result, the point aimed at) is eternal life, Rom. 6:22-23.
III. CHRISTIANS FORFEIT ETERNAL LIFE BY RETURNING TO SIN, Heb. 6:4-6.
A. We Must Keep Ourselves in God’s Love, Jude 21 (v. 1; 1 Jno. 5:3).
B. We Must Hear and Follow Jesus, Jno. 10:27-30.
C. Christians Renew Life in Christ through Repentance and Prayerful Confession to God, Acts 8:22-24; 1 Jno. 1:9 (6-7).
1. This is eternal life: To know God and Jesus Christ, Jno. 17:1-3.
2. Know God by having / obeying Jesus in faith, 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
3. Do you have eternal life as a present spiritual blessing and as your aim for the future?
a. If not, become a Christian to receive life in the Son.
b. If you have fallen from Christ and life in Him, then repent and return to Him. He will renew your life in the Son.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted October 28, 2019