Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 6:10-13
The Church: Strong in the Lord
1. Many reject Christ and Christianity due to a false sense of security.
2. We know we have an enemy who wants to destroy us. We must steadfastly resist him, 1 Pet. 5:8-9.
3. How? Eph. 6:10-17 teaches how to effectively withstand our adversary.
I. THE CHRISTIAN’S STRENGTH COMES FROM CHRIST, Eph. 6:10. Phil. 4:13; Rom. 8:37 (through faith and obedience)
A. What do I Need Strength to Overcome?
1. Temptations and sin, 1 Pet. 2:24; Heb. 4:14-16.
2. Trials of life, Rom. 8:35-39.
a. Tribulation (“pressed down”, affliction) – External pressures.
b. Distress (narrowness of place; anxiety) – Internal stress.
c. Persecution (put to flight) – Threats, etc.
d. Famine, nakedness, peril (dangers), sword (death threats).
B. We Must be Humble and Accept His Strength, 2 Cor. 12:7-10.
II. WHY WE MUST RELY ON GOD’S STRENGTH FOR OUR SPIRITUAL WELFARE, Eph. 6:11-12.
A. Because our Adversary is the Devil, 1 Pet. 5:8; 2 Cor. 2:11.
B. Because our Battleground is the Spiritual Realm, cf. 2 Cor. 10:3-5.
1. The battle is for our hearts (minds) and for our souls.
2. The effects of this battle are played out in the flesh and how we live our lives, Rom. 6:12-14.
III. BE STRONG IN THE LORD BY PUTTING ON THE WHOLE ARMOR OF GOD, Eph. 6:13-17.
A. Each Christian Must Put on God’s Armor.
1. You must be able to withstand when trials come to you, Eph. 6:13.
2. When worn, God’s armor will protect us and assure our victory in Christ.
B. The Whole (entire) Armor Must Be Worn, Eph. 6:14-17.
1. The girdle of truth, 6:14:
a. Trust in God and your salvation found there, Eph. 1:13.
b. Speak truth in love, Eph. 4:15.
c. Truth is in Jesus, Eph. 4:21.
d. Always speak truthfully, Eph. 4:25.
e. The fruit of the Spirit in your life, Eph. 5:9.
2. The breastplate of righteousness, 6:14:
a. Character of the “new man”, Eph. 4:17-24.
b. Holy living protects you against the devil.
3. Shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace, 6:15:
a. To walk in good works of God, Eph. 2:10.
b. To walk worthily of our calling, Eph. 4:1.
c. To not walk like the lost in the world, Eph. 4:17.
d. To walk in love, Eph. 5:1.
e. To walk as children of light, Eph. 5:8.
f. To walk carefully throughout life, Eph. 5:15.
4. The shield of faith, 6:16:
a. A faith that is lived and known, Eph. 1:15.
b. A faith which relies on God for salvation, Eph. 2:8.
c. A faith by which Christ dwells in our heart, Eph. 3:17.
d. A faith that is one (united) in Christ, Eph. 4:5, 13.
5. The helmet of salvation, 6:17:
a. Present reality, Eph. 2:5.
b. Future reward, Eph. 1:13.
6. The sword of the Spirit…the word of God, 6:17:
a. Secures one’s faith, Eph. 1:13 (2 Pet. 1:10).
b. The word of peace Jesus preached, Eph. 2:17-18.
c. Revealed, written and understandable, Eph. 3:3-5.
d. To be spoken in love, Eph. 4:15.
e. By it Christ sanctifies and cleanses His church, Eph. 5:26 (cf. Rev. 2:16).
C. A Life of Fervent Faith Must be Lived, Eph. 6:18-20.
1. Pray for each other, 6:18-19 (1 Ths. 5:17). Watchful, persevering supplication (Phil. 1:4)
2. Preach the gospel, 6:19-20. Boldness, clarity and purpose
1. Will you stand in the strength and power of the Lord? Only if you put on His armor…Do it now.
2. There is no other protection and no other confidence of victory over sin except in the strength of His might (Eph. 6:10).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 7, 2013