Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 6:9-15
Patient Endurance and Our Secure Hope
1. Christians are heirs of the Abrahamic promise, Gal 3:26-29.
2. Heb 6:13-20: God wants His people to be confident that He will give them their inheritance! (6:17)
3. HOPE IS AN ANCHOR OF THE SOUL, 6:19.
4. Our “anchor of the soul” is secured by two strains of one cable:
a. Promise of God, 6:13.
b. Oath of God, 6:13, 17.
5. These show the integrity of GOD’S WORD (6:17-18). God cannot lie – Have His word on it! (Our hope connected to God’s word!)
6. Man’s hope is also connected to his faith:
a. Abraham “obtained the promise” (confirmed and assured to him) because he patiently endured.
b. Why is it that sometimes our hope dims – fades – seems irrelevant in our lives? [Because our faith in God’s word (His counsel, promises) has grown weak!]
c. Our present need: Imitate Abraham’s faith, Heb 6:9-12.
7. To have a faith that patiently endures (so that our hope is truly secure) we must:
I. USE GOD’S WORD IN OUR LIVES, Heb 5:11-14.
A. Our Hope Compels Us to Teach the Lost, 5:12 (8-11).
-cf. Matt 9:36-38; Jno 4:35: Shall we alone be blessed?
B. Using God’s Word Helps Us Choose Good things and Avoid Evil, 5:14 cf. 1 Ths 5:21-22. How? With the truth, Phil 4:8.
-Patient endurance (consistent application of truth to our lives) reveals the hope in God and His word that sustains us! Isa 55:10-11
II. PRESS ON TO MATURITY, Heb 6:1-3 (diligence, 6:11).
A. Our Hope for the Future is Secured by Events of the Past (promise and oath, 6:13, 17). Yet…
B. We must not Live in the Past, Phil 3:13-14.
1. No spiritual growth says, “First principles are enough, growth is not connected to my hope!”
2. Maturing process looks forward in hope and patient endurance! cf. Heb 6:9-11
III. APPRECIATE OUR VALUABLE BLESSINGS, Heb 6:4-6.
A. Our Present Spiritual Blessings Give Us Reason to Maintain Our Hope! (Light, grace, fellowship, word, divine power) Eph 1:3; 1 Cor 3:21-23
B. Our Hope Anticipates even Greater Blessings!
1. Our present blessings are not all there is, Rom 8:24.
2. Fullness of hope to the end...not sluggish, Heb 6:11-12.
IV. BE FRUITFUL, Heb 6:7-8.
[cf. Land: Blessed with rain, but must cultivate it to bear fruit; so also the Christian.]
A. Bearing Fruit is Consistent with our Hope, Jno 15:5-8; Gal 5:22-23.
B. Bearing Fruit Anticipates a Future Harvest, 1 Cor 9:10; Jas 5:7-8.
V. THE CHRISTIAN’S ASSURANCE (2 Tim 1:12).
A. God does not Forget, Heb 6:10.
-He rewards good deeds (Rom 2:6-7).
B. God does not Lie, Heb 6:18 (promise and oath).
-Both of these challenge our faith to “wait on the Lord”, Isa 40:27-31.
1. Be diligent, faithful and steadfast; Inherit the promises, Heb 6:12.
2. Flee for refuge; Lay hold of the hope set before us, Heb 6:18.
3. God is faithful; We have strong encouragement!