1. Everybody in the church needs daily encouragement - Heb. 3:12-13; 10:24-25; Acts 11:23.
a. Every Christian has times of discouragement, doubt, fear.
b. Encourage - To give comfort, exhort, strengthen.
2. Encouraging each other in the faith is an attribute of love, mercy & goodness - 1 Ths. 5:14-15.
3. Gal. 6:10 - It is always good to encourage each other in right things.
I. WAYS WE SHOULD ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER.
A. By Having Singular Devotion To Christ - Matt. 6:21-23.
1. See the salvation of God with "eyes of faith" - Exo. 14:13; 2 Cor. 5:7. Focus on Gods work & power in life - cf. Isa. 41:8-13.
2. When we focus on the troubles of life...we sink! - Jno. 6:27-30
B. By Urging Each Other To Trust In God - Heb. 13:5-6; Col. 2:6-7.
1. The one who saves us will stand by us.
2. We must stand by Him, and help others do the same!
C. By Urging Each Other To Be Faithful In Service To The Lord - cf. 2 Chrn. 35:1-2 (29:5-15); Acts 14:21-22; 15:41; 18:23.
1. Godly living - Acts 9:31
2. Obedient service - Rom. 12:10-16
3. Faithful worship - 1 Cor. 14:26
D. By Using The Word Of God - cf. 1 Cor. 2:1-5 (not wisdom of man).
1. Teach & preach it - 1 Tim. 4:13; 2 Tim. 4:2.
2. Study it - Heb. 13:22; 2 Tim. 2:15.
3. Learn & use it - Acts 15:32.
E. By Assisting Each Other Physically & Spiritually.
1. Physically - Matt. 25:34-40.
-The sick, the poor, etc. A helping hand, etc.
2. Spiritually - Heb. 10:24-25; Jude 20-23.
3. Gal. 6:2; Jas. 5:19-20; 1 Jno. 3:16-18 ("He aint heavy, hes my brother") - Family relationship - 1 Pet. 2:17 (love).
II. BARNABAS: SON OF ENCOURAGEMENT - Acts 4:36-37; 11:21-24.
A. The Qualities We Need In Order To Encourage Each Other Are Seen In Barnabas:
1. Generous man (4:37). With our possessions, money, thoughts, words & actions.
2. Unselfish man (cf. 4:37 & 5:1-2). Must be giving people who sacrifice themselves for the well-being of others (cf. Jesus).
3. Devoted man (11:22). Eager to help, to assist, to work.
4. Spiritually perceptive man (11:23). Not self-absorbed, looks upward (to God) & outward (to others). Phil. 2:3-4
5. Good man (11:24). Meekness, kindness, humble, loving.
6. Full of the Holy Spirit & faith (11:24; Eph. 5:18). Walk with God - Eph. 5:15-18.
B. We Are Not Meeting Our Spiritual Obligations & Opportunities If We Are Not Encouraging Each Other In The Faith - Eph. 4:16.
1. A word, a smile, a word of teaching, an effort to rescue from sin & error, help when others need our help, etc.
2. Every act of encouragement is seen by our Master & will be rewarded by Him - Matt. 10:41-42.
1. Sons of encouragement are not born - they are made through strong faith, hard work, and perceptive hearts which are devoted to Christ, His cause & His people.
2. Can it be said of us that we are "sons of encouragement?"