Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Genesis 2:8-10
East of Eden
1. In Genesis and elsewhere, when people go ďeast,Ē they leave the land of blessing (Eden and the Promised Land) for a land where their greatest hopes turn to ruin (e.g., Babylon and Sodom).
2. Living East of Eden is Paradise Lost and efforts to regain it; A metaphor for life, for damaged of sinful choices, and for seeking redemption.
a. Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden to the east, Gen. 3:24.
b. Cain was expelled from presence of Lord and goes east, Gen. 4:16.
c. People moved east and built the tower of Babel, Gen. 11:2.
d. Lot divided from Abram and took the best lands toward the east, Gen. 13:10-11.
e. Sodom and Gomorrah were in the east, where Lot pitched his tent, Gen. 13:11-13.
I. WE HAVE ALL LIVED EAST OF EDEN, BUT CHRIST CAN TAKE US TO THE GARDEN OF GOD, Rev. 22:1-5, 13-14.
A. It Was East of Eden...
1. Where men began to trust their own wisdom and will instead of Godís, Gen. 4:16, 19-24.
a. Away from the presence of the Lord, 4:16; cf. Jno. 14:23.
b. Marriage and the home corrupted and defiled, 4:19 (2:21-22).
c. Oppression and injustice increased, 4:23-24.
2. Where men ďbegan to call on the name of the Lord,Ē Gen. 4:25-26.
a. God did not forget His promise (seed of woman), Gen. 3:15.
b. God gives us children to comfort us, Psa. 127:3.
c. The blessing of free will is confirmed there, cf. Ezek. 18:10-18.
d. Our culture does not define our faith; We must live above the culture, Rom. 13:11-14.
3. Where people thoroughly corrupted themselves, Gen. 6:1-5.
a. Spiritual indifference (no love for God), 6:2 (Matt. 22:37).
b. Violence (no love for others), 6:3-4 (Matt. 22:39).
4. Where Godís judgment against sin was announced and applied, Gen. 6:6-7; 7:11-12, 19.
a. Water judgment foreshadows fire judgment, 2 Pet. 3:5-7.
b. How we live now determines our judgment, Jno. 5:28-29.
5. Where Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord, Gen. 6:8.
a. Grace is found East of Eden: Announced by Godís command and received by Noahís obedient faith, Gen. 6:13-14, 22-7:1 (Heb. 11:7).
b. Hope and salvation are found East of Eden: Messiah, Matt. 2:1-2; Gal. 4:4; Rev. 22:16; The Morning Star (in the east), Lk. 1:76-79.
1. Living East of Eden is a metaphor for life after sin came into the world and into our lives; Of life lived away from God and away from His blessings.
2. Godís judgment of sin and eternal death lie East of Eden.
3. Godís grace, salvation and living hope are also found East of Eden, compelling us to live by faith and obey Jesus Christ, to be given entrance into the eternal garden of God (Rev. 22:1-3)
-Adapted from outline by Mark Posey, Pulpit Preview (08:08), 30Aug2016
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: September 08, 2016