Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 22:17-21
Ears to Hear (Part 1)
1. Jesus warns us about how we listen, Lk. 8:18. This is the essential message of the parable of the sower and the seed, Lk. 8:8-15, 16-17.
2. Listening (to God and to others) requires the right heart: Our attention, effort, respect, and a commitment to understand, Eccl. 5:1; Prov. 20:12; Matt. 13:9, 13, 18 (Samuel, 1 Sam. 3:10).
3. Hear and Do: Exo. 15:26; Deut. 4:1-2; Matt. 7:24-25.
4. One reason for disobedience and for not growing mature spiritually is we do not listen to God (His word), Rom. 10:14-17.
I. WE MUST HAVE EARS THAT LISTEN TO:
A. God by Listening to His Word, Heb. 1:1-2; cf. Lk. 19:48; 21:38.
-We aren’t listening if we are not reading and learning!
1. To have faith in God, Rom. 10:17 (Acts 17:11-12).
2. To follow after righteousness, Isa. 51:1, His law and justice (4) -- Know righteousness and have His law in heart (7).
3. Must be very attentive to teachings of Jesus, Lk. 19:47-48.
B. The Reproof of our Sin, Prov. 15:31; 25:12 (2 Tim. 3:16-17; 4:2; Lk. 17:3). We do not have listening ears when we defend and deflect instead of yield and repent.
1. To stay in the narrow way (the way of life), Prov. 10:17.
2. To avoid being stupid, Prov. 12:1.
3. To be wise (not stubborn), Prov. 17:10.
4. To avoid spiritual death, cf. Prov. 15:10.
5. When you are reproved because of your sin -- accept it, repent and rejoice that you are saved – do not resent, hate, oppose and reject it.
C. Wise Counsel, Prov. 8:34-36 (2:1-2; 5:1).
1. Who is your counselor? Someone who tells you what you want to hear, or someone who tells you what you need to hear (in your best interest)? Prov. 18:15; 29:1
2. Sources of wise counsel: Bible, faithful brethren, parents, siblings – those who point us to God and His word and will.
3. Jesus, Isa. 9:6. Counselor: “advise…to deliberate or resolve” (determine), Jno. 6:68.
1. Ears to hear are open to listening to God’s word and those who teach it to us, to examining ourselves in light of the truth, and to correcting ourselves to conform to God’s will, Matt. 13:9.
2. If we don’t have ears to hear, then Matt. 13:13-15 describes us.
3. Part 2: What prevents us from listening as we should (having ears to hear)?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted August 30, 2019