Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Exodus 19:3-9
On Eagles' Wings
1. The eagle is a strong, swift and majestic creature.
2. In the Bible God uses the eagle to illustrate His works on behalf of His people. Ex. His deliverance of Israel from Egyptian bondage, Exo. 19:3-4.
3. With swift strength and majestic precision God's mighty hand rescued Israel while dealing out punishment upon Egypt.
4. The eagle continues to be aptly illustrate what God has done, is doing and can do for His people, as well as describing what He will do with the ungodly.
I. THE STRENGTH OF GOD SAVES US FROM THE BONDAGE OF SIN.
A. God's Power to Save Us from Our Sins.
1. God's strength brought Israel out of bondage, Exo. 13:3.
2. God is able to completely save, Heb. 7:25 (Jas. 4:12).
3. Christ and His gospel is God's power to save, Acts 4:12; Rom. 1:16; 1 Cor. 1:18, 21-24.
B. Obtaining God's Power to Save: Obedient Faith.
1. Sinner's prayer? Does prayer bring saving power of God into the heart/life of the sinner?
2. Israel, prayers and salvation:
a. Praying for release and God heard, and He provided means of relief, Exo. 2:23-25; 3:7-10.
b. Israel's faith that God could/would save them was tested when commanded to apply lamb's blood to doorposts, Exo. 12:7, 13, 28. They obeyed and none of their firstborn died.
c. Freed by God's power because of their faith and obedience.
3. Same true today re. freedom from sin's bondage:
a. Prayer about sin shows need and desire for salvation, but prayer does not save the lost, cf. Acts 10:2, 6; 11:14.
b. God commands to apply the blood and God's power will save you, Rom. 6:3 (Acts 22:16); Col. 2:12.
II. THE STRENGTH OF GOD GUARDS US FROM BEING OVERCOME BY THE ENEMIES OF OUR FAITH (SATAN AND SIN), Deut. 32:10-12.
A. God's Saving Power is also Sufficient to Protect Us from being Recaptured by Sin, cf. Deut. 32:11; Isa. 31:5; Heb. 13:5-6.
1. Israel at the Red Sea, Exo. 14:10-14; 15:6.
2. Christians in this world, 1 Jno. 4:4; 1 Cor. 10:13. (Never "too difficult", "too much to do", etc.)
B. God's Power Protects Our Salvation by Faith, 1 Pet. 1:3-5.
1. Every assurance of the Christian's security rests upon God's power and our faith in His power, 2 Tim. 1:12.
a. Hear and follow Jesus - never perish, Jno. 10:27-29.
b. God will not guard us against our will, but through faith His power is energized, 1 Jno. 5:4.
2. Make your calling and election sure, 2 Pet. 1:5-11.
III. GOD WILL BRING SWIFT, DECISIVE JUDGMENT AGAINST EVIL, Exo. 6:6; 7:4-5; 12:12. (Eagle swoops upon its prey with talons from which there is no escape.)
A. God's Judgments against Sin are Sure and Decisive.
1. Against Israel, Hosea 8:1-3.
2. Against Judah, Hab. 1:6-8.
3. Against Jerusalem, Matt. 24:28.
4. Against all sinners in the last day, 1 Ths. 5:2-3.
B. In View of God's Swift and Decisive Judgment to Come, What Shall We Do?
1. Be prepared and watchful, 1 Ths. 5:4-6.
2. Wash hearts from wickedness, cf. Jer. 4:11-14 (repent, Acts 17:30-31; Acts 2:37-38).
1. God has the power to save you and guard you. He swiftly saves and protects all who obey Him in faith, Heb. 5:8-9.
2. Trust God's power to save and secure us, Isa. 40:27-31.
3. God's judgments are strong, swift and decisive.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 19, 2014