Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Peter 3:10-15
1. Eagerly waiting: cf. The excited expectation of children at Christmas, but not to be disciplined when disobedient.
2. Christians should live with eager anticipation as we look beyond this vale of tears (world) into eternity, 2 Cor. 4:16-18.
3. Christians eagerly wait (expect fully)…
I. …FOR THE HOPE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH, Gal. 5:5.
A. Our Hope Rests in the Assurance of Righteousness by Faith, Rom. 1:16-17; 3:21-24 (because of God’s plan of salvation).
1. This hope prevails against present sufferings, Rom. 8:18-19.
-Even the inanimate creation eagerly waits for its deliverance from the “bondage of corruption” (decay, cf. 2 Pet. 3:10-13).
2. Our hope prevails until the resurrection, Rom. 8:23-25 (17, glorified together with Christ – “redemption of our body”).
3. Hope secures us to Christ with eager anticipation and full expectation, Heb. 6:18-19 (1 Pet. 1:3-5).
II. …FOR THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST, 1 Cor. 1:7-8.
A. The Day of Our Lord Jesus is the Christian’s Expectant Hope, cf. 2 Thess. 1:10.
1. Therefore, vss. 11-12: Pray to be worthy of our calling and powerfully fulfill God’s good pleasure and work of faith.
2. Our eager expectation is to share in Christ’s glory, Col. 3:4.
B. “I Am Coming Quickly” (unhindered, soon, without delay), Rev. 22:20 (Answers 22:17).
1. In response to the needs of His saints, Rev. 3:10-11.
2. In retribution against enemies, Rev. 2:5, 16 (1 Cor. 16:22).
3. We eagerly look for to the day of the Lord, 2 Pet. 3:12 (11-14).
-Consider His longsuffering as salvation (time to repent), 2 Pet. 3:15 (9).
III. …FOR THE SAVIOR, THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, Phil. 3:20.
A. Because Our Citizenship is in Heaven, cf. Heb. 11:14.
B. Because Christ Will Transform Us Mortals into Immortality, Phil. 3:21; 1 Cor. 15:50-54; cf. 1 John 3:2-3.
C. Because Christ Will Bring Salvation to Those Who Wait for Him, Heb. 9:27-28.
1. Eager waiting implies endurance, 2 Tim. 2:10-13.
2. We live with a fearful expectation of His return if we do not abstain from sin, Heb. 10:31 (Matt. 10:28).
1. Sin prevents us from eagerly waiting for our hope at the Lord’s return.
2. The joy of salvation expresses our hope in Christ. It eagerly anticipates the Lord’s return and the salvation He will bring to His faithful ones.
3. Repentant sinners can eagerly wait upon the Lord, Ps. 51:10-12 (James 4:7-10).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted July 6, 2021