Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: James 4:5-10
Draw Near to God
1. James wrote to encourage faith's perfection:
a. Faith to be saved, Jno. 8:23-24 (Jas. 1:22, 25; 2:19).
b. Faith to trust and obey Jesus, Jno. 14:1-6 (Jas. 2:21-22).
c. Faith to endure trials, Heb. 12:1-4 (Jas. 1:2-4).
2. James 4: The priority of faith over the flesh; The contrast between the world and God is severe, Jas. 4:1-4.
a. Wars and fights in the world v. Peace with God (v. 1, 5-6).
b. Selfish, unfulfilled lusts v. Heard and answered (v. 3).
c. Enemy v. friendship with God (v. 4). cf. Abraham, Jas. 2:23
3. God is jealous of us when sin captures us and destroys our relationship with Him, Jas. 4:5; Gen. 6:5-6.
4. God's response is to offer grace more abundant than sin, Jas. 4:6; cf. Rom. 5:20-21.
5. God expects us to choose Him instead of sin (world), Jas. 4:6-10.
6. God will draw near to us when we draw near to Him, Jas. 4:8.
Draw Near to God...
·Submit to God, Jas. 4:7
-God does not give grace through bribery, threats, self-righteous demands of sinners.
-God regards the humble, cf. Lk. 7:36-38, 47-48
·Resist the devil, Jas. 4:7; 1 Pet. 5:8-9
-With focused purpose and goal, Jas. 1:12. Prov. 1:10; 4:14; 2 Tim. 2:22
-With cleansing of hands and hearts, 4:8; 1 Jno. 3:3
-With the word of God, 1 Jno. 2:14. Strength (Eph. 6:10)
·Study His word, 2 Tim. 2:15
-Personal responsibility and reward
-Christ has made learning His will attainable, Eph. 4:11-16 (5:17)
·Walk in the light, 1 Jno. 1:6-7; Eph. 4:1; 5:8
-Must mourn our own sin, Jas. 4:9; Matt. 5:4; cf. 1 Jno. 1:8-9
-Do not practice sin, 1 Jno. 3:4-10
·Pray constantly, 1 Thess. 5:17
-Do not become discouraged, Lk. 18:1-8 (Psa. 116:1-2)
-Patience in prayer brings peaceful result, Phil. 4:6-7
-Draw boldly to the throne of grace, Heb. 4:16
·Serve others, Matt. 25:36-41
-By doing so we serve Christ; He is present
-Do unto others..., Matt. 7:12; cf. Jas. 4:11-12
·Worship faithfully, Jno. 4:23-24
-God seeks and receives worshippers who continue steadfastly in the apostles' teaching, Acts 2:41-42
-Worshiping God takes priority, Heb. 10:24-25
-Worship assemblies are for edification, 1 Cor. 14:26
·Seek Him diligently, Matt. 6:33; Heb. 11:6 (5)
-First: Primary urging and motive; Priority
-His kingdom and His righteousness, cf. Matt. 5:6, 19-20
-Submit to God's rule in your life
-Obey the commands of God (His righteousness)
1. We deceive ourselves if we think God will draw near to us while we are turning away from Him, Jas. 1:22-25 (4:4).
2. God will draw near to you when, in faith, you draw near to Him, Jas. 4:8.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 7, 2015