WHY DON'T SOME CHRISTIANS GROW?
1. It is a sad sight to see an underdeveloped child (cf. starving child).
2. It is horrible to observe the stunted growth of a child of God.
3. When Christians will not grow we ought to be alarmed! - cf. Gal. 4:11
· WHEN CHRISTIANS DO NOT GROW SPIRITUALLY, THE RESULTS ARE:
1. Weak & susceptible to temptation - 1 Pet. 5:8-9.
2. Unproductive in bearing the fruits of righteousness - 2 Pet. 1:5-8.
3. Will become spiritual blind & forgetful - 2 Pet. 1:9.
4. Will stumble, fall & not enter heaven! - 2 Pet. 1:10-11.
WHY DO SOME CHRISTIANS FAIL TO GROW UP TO SPIRITUAL MATURITY? - Heb. 5:11-6:12
· BECAUSE THEY HAVE BECOME DULL OF HEARING - 5:11.
1. God's word is a burden to them - 1 Jno.5:3; cf. Amos 7:12-13.
-When it reproves their sin, they make excuses (Saul, 1 Sam. 15).
-When it commands a sacrifice & denial of self, they object (Lk. 9:23).
-When it imparts heavenly wisdom they refuse it for the wisdom of the world - 1 Cor. 2:6-7.
· BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY HAVE GROWN ENOUGH - 5:12.
1. The passing of time has deceived them into thinking they have matured - cf. Phil. 3:12-14.
-Spiritual maturity is not based on the passing of time, but on the use of our time to partake of spiritual nutrition! - 5:13-14; Eph. 5:18
-This hindrance to spiritual growth is rooted in pride, complacency & self- sufficiency! - Rev. 3:15-17
2. To overcome this, we must be zealous & repent - Rev. 3:19.
-Trust more in Christ & less in self! (Phil. 4:13)
· BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT ALLOW THE WORD OF GOD TO CHANGE THEM -
1. They do not use the word of God to direct their decisions in life - Eph. 5:15 (Col. 3:17).
2. They are unskilled in the word of righteousness because they do not use the word of righteousness! - Heb. 5:13-14; Phil. 1:9-11
3. Lost their desire for the pure milk of the word - 1 Pet. 2:2.
· BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLY ACCUSTOMED TO THE "MILK" OF THE WORD
- 5:12; 6:1.
1. They have a wrong relationship with the word of God:
-First principles of the gospel is where they have stayed (6:1-3).
-No tolerance for the meat of the word - 2 Tim. 4:3-4; Gal. 4:16.
-God's word is no longer sweet to their lips (Jer. 15:16).
2. They have not stood up for their faith (cf. Dan. 3:12, 16-18, 28).
-Just as infants must stand in order to walk, Christians must stand in order to walk with Christ (grow)! (Some are still crawling!)
-These have not used the word of truth to stand up for Jesus!
· BECAUSE THEY FAIL TO "PRESS ONWARD" TO SPIRITUAL MATURITY
- 6:1 (cf. 6:9-12).
1. Press on by being constantly aware of salvation (grace & mercy) - v. 9; cf. 2 Pet. 1:9.
2. Press on by living an obedient faith - v. 10.
3. Press on by being diligent to the end - v. 11-12 (cf. Heb. 10:32; 3:14; 4:11, 14).
· BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY FALLEN AWAY (the eventual outcome of
not growing) - 6:4-8.
1. It is possible there are Christians here today who have already fallen away! - cf. 1 Cor. 11:30
2. The sin of unbelief has deceived & devoured them - Heb. 3:12-13 (cf. Jas. 2:19).
3. No "fire in their bosom" for God, truth & holiness in their lives - Lk. 24:32.
1. God sees & rewards our efforts to grow & mature - Heb. 6:9-10.
2. We must be diligent with faithful patience to inherit the promises - Heb. 6:12.