Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Revelation 22:12-15
Beware of Dogs
1. Dog: Anciently, most dogs were flea and disease infested scavengers; unclean.
a. Word of contempt and scorn among Jews for Gentiles, Mk 7:25-28.
b. “References to the dog…usually of a contemptuous character. A dog, and especially a dead dog, is used as a figure of insignificance. Goliath to David (1 Sam 17:43)…” ISBE [1 Sam 24:14; 2 Sam 9:8].
c. “Other passages express by inference the low esteem in which dogs are held. Nothing worse could happen to a person than that his body should be devoured by dogs (1 Kgs 14:11; 21:19, 21:23, etc.).” ISBE
2. Fig. of evil doers barred from the eternal city, Rev 22:15.
3. NT warning: Beware of dogs! (Phil 3:2)
I. BEWARE OF FALSE TEACHERS, Phil 3:1-3.
A. Unbelievers who Lead Souls into Error, 2 Pet 3:17.
B. Binders of Opinions and Human Doctrines, cf. Matt 15:7-9.
1. Like the Judaizers, these mutilate souls with their false doctrines!
2. Warned of and called to withstand such, 1 Tim 6:12; Jude 3-4; 2 Pet 2:1-2.
II. BEWARE OF WATCHMEN ON THE WALLS OF JERUSALEM WHO DO NOT WATCH AND WARN, Isa 62:6.
A. Dumb Dogs who will not Bark, Isa 56:10.
1. Watchmen who are silent, cf. Acts 20:20 (2 Tim 4:2).
B. Greedy Dogs, Isa 56:11. (Matt 23:14; Jno 10:12-13)
C. Watchmen in the Lord’s Church who must not be Silent:
1. Elders, Acts 20:28; Heb 13:17.
2. Preachers, 2 Tim 4:2; 2 Jno 7.
3. Teachers, Eph 4:11-12.
4. Every Christian has a sphere of influence; use it to warn and save, cf. Gal 6:1; 1 Tim 4:12.
III. BEWARE OF THOSE THAT HOLD TRUTH AND RIGHTEOUSNESS IN CONTEMPT, Matt 7:6 (cf. Prov 9:7-8).
A. Those that Reject the Apostolic Gospel, Matt 10:7, 13-15.
-Rejecting God! Lk 10:16; cf. 1 Ths 4:8
B. It May be Friends who Love the World more than Christ, Truth and You, 1 Cor 15:33-34.
-Persecutors of the righteous, Matt 5:11 (Psa 22:16; cf. 1 Pet 4:4-5).
IV. BEWARE OF THOSE WHO FALL AWAY, 2 Pet 2:20-22.
A. Spiritual Condition is Like a Dog that Returns to Eat its Vomit, cf. Prov 26:11.
B. Their Influence is Harmful, 1 Cor 5:6, 9-13.
1. Do not live in such a way as to be held in contempt by men or by God; beware of those who do!
2. Be watchful and beware of dogs that would devour your soul, causing you to be lost with them (Rev 22:15).